Friday, January 30, 2015

All the Stars


Day 4 of Online Card Classes' "Clean & Simple 4" class is about adding texture to CAS cards. Jennifer McGuire did a lesson on stitching. One of her sample cards used stitching to outline a basic image. I took my inspiration from that.

I started by cutting a piece of copy paper to 4.25x5.5"--the size of an A2 card. After determining the placement of my greeting, I die cut several stars from that using the smallest die from Lifestyle Crafts' "Nesting Star" set, to create a template. I taped that template to a piece of blue cardstock, also cut to an A2 size, and pierced holes in the corners of each star.

Before I did my stitching, I stamped my greeting, from Hero Arts' "Shoot for the Moon" stamp set, in Versamark ink and heat embossed it with Ranger Super Fine Detail White embossing powder. I also stamped one of the stars from that set around the card to fill in some spaces, and heat embossed them. Finally, I stitched around each pierced star with white embroidery floss.

I felt the card looked a little too plain, so I added some flecks with Dylusions "White Linen" spray ink, flicking the ink on instead of spraying it. While subtle, I think it adds a nice added texture, without any bulk.

Detail of stitching & ink splatters

To finish this card, I adhered the front panel to a white card base, and rounded all 4 corners with my 3/8" Corner Chomper. I will be sending this card to Operation Write Home.

I'm entering my card in Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Anything Goes" challenge.

1 comment:

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!