Thursday, January 22, 2015

Happy Bird-day


The fifth theme at Bugaboo Stamps' Birthday Bash challenge series is to create a humorous birthday card. I recently got this image from Bugaboo, and felt it was perfect for this challenge! For the banner text, I created a text path in Photoshop, and typed the greeting on that, so it would print with the image. Not quite easy-peasy, but it did work out!

Because of the size of the image, I didn't really need a sketch. I cut a piece of Strathmore Mixed Media Paper to 4.25x7", and printed my image onto that. To paint the panel, I first taped it to my cutting board (that I use exclusively for painting & inking). I applied clear water to the sky area first, and then dropped in and blended 3 different shades of blue watercolor. Once I got the sky looking like I wanted it, I set that aside to air dry while I worked on another card.

After the watercolor had dried, I colored the birds & balloons with Inktense pencils, using a damp paintbrush to blend the colors. I also ended up painting the banner with green watercolor. When all the coloring had dried, I added glitter with my clear Wink of Stella brush marker to the balloons & birds' hats. I also went over the eyes on the yellow bird, and pupils on the other, with a black gel pen, just to make them pop a bit more.

To finish the card, I trimmed the main panel down just slightly, and adhered it to a piece of orange cardstock. I then matted that with black, just for a pop of contrast, and adhered the completed card front to my card base. I will be sending this card on to Send a Smile 4 Kids.

4 comments:

  1. Perfect birthday card great colours and sentiment! Thanks for joining us for Bugaboo's 5th Annual Birthday Bash, Dawn DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet clean design! I think you did a gat job making the sky too.
    Thanks for joining Bugaboo's birthday celebration and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable, Andrea. Love your CAS design with this fun image. Thanks for joining the Bugaboo Birthday celebration this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute card. Love the watercolor look. Thanks for joining us for Bugaboo's 5th Birthday Bash. Cindy-GDT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!