Sunday, January 11, 2015

Keep on Shining


The current challenge at Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge blog is to combine something new with something old. I used a brand-new-to-me stamp set from Hero Arts with an older one from Simon Says Stamp.

I took my inspiration from this video by Jennifer McGuire. She used Hero Arts' "Christmas Crystals" stamp set to do a technique she called "repeat stamping." Basically, she stamped a single crystal stamp repeatedly around a central point to create a star-like image.

I first determined where my central point would be, and drew in my guidelines on a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper. Then I stamped the crystal around that point, using Versafine Onyx Black ink. I heat embossed it with Zing! Clear embossing powder. Finally, I colored it with my Inktense pencils, using one color per section. I used my water brush to blend each color.

After my stamped image dried, I went over it with my clear Wink of Stella glitter brush marker, to give it some shimmer. I die cut a hole in the middle with a Spellbinders "Standard Circles SM" die. After positioning my focal panel over the teal piece I'd cut for the background, I traced around the hole, to mark where my greeting would go. I then stamped the greeting from this set in Versamark, and heat embossed it with Ranger Super Fine Detail White embossing powder. I finished the card by applying foam tape to the back of the main panel and adhering it to the teal mat. Or I thought that finished it....

I decided there was just too much white space, so I used some Ranger Multi Medium Matte to glue some sequins down. Finally, I adhered the card front to an A2 size card base. Now the card was done! I will be sending this card to Send a Smile 4 Kids, to be given to a hospitalized child. Hopefully this will brighten his/her day!

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

a2z Scrapbooking's January challenge: "New to You"
Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday challenge: "Something New"

9 comments:

  1. Cute card, love all the elements you added to your card. Thanks for joining us at a2z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card, very creative! Thanks for playing along with the a2z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome card and design! so glad you played along with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    add a little glimmer to your life....sparkle & shine! *~*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way you used the diamond stamp! Wink of Stella is the best isn't it?! Thanks for joining us at a2z Scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Andrea!! I love your creative use of that diamond stamp. Love it!! You did an amazing job. Thanks for joining us over at the a2z Scrapbooking Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a cool design! glad to see it at a2z!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a creative use of that stamp ... it creates such a striking focal point ... so very glad you joined our new to you challenge at a2z scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how pretty your repeat stamping turned out! Thanks for joining us over at a2z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stamping & coloring--beautiful card! So glad you joined us at a2z!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!