Friday, January 23, 2015

A Cupcake Kind of (Birth)day


The final challenge theme for Bugaboo Stamps' 5th Birthday Bash celebration is a recipe challenge. They gave 5 choices related to circus-type food, the idea being to choose one and create a project incorporating those qualities. I chose to go with the snow cone, which involved using red, yellow, & blue and glitter/bling.

I decided to use Bugaboo's "Cupcake Circle Tag" image for the focal point of my card. Because I wanted to create a large circle element, but still keep it to an A2 size card, I knew exactly which Operation Write Home sketch I wanted to use:


This design is rather unique, in that the circle extends above the fold of a 4.25" square card base.

I die cut & embossed a circle from Strathmore Mixed Media Paper using the largest of Spellbinders' "Standard Circles SM" dies. After printing the cupcake image onto that, I colored the cherry & cupcake liner with red and blue Inktense pencils, & used a damp paintbrush to blend the color on each. I replaced the die cut circle into the die, and blended some Spun Sugar Distress ink around the perimeter of the inside portion, fading out towards the middle. This just gives it a bit more interest, and accents the embossed border. To finish the cupcake, I printed just that part of the image (minus the text) onto a piece of yellow patterned paper (from my scrap stash), cut out the icing portion, and glued it over the corresponding area on my focal panel.

Next, I die cut a scalloped circle from blue glitter paper with one of  Lifestyle Crafts' "Nesting Scallops" dies, & glued the focal circle to that. After adhering a piece of red patterned paper from Doodlebug Designs' "Take Note" 6x6" pad to the front of the card base, I glued the circle on that, making sure the card will still fit inside a standard A2 envelope.

For the greeting, I stamped one from this Simon Says Stamp set onto a strip of white cardstock, in Versafine Onyx Black ink. I then heat embossed it with Ranger's Holographic embossing powder. This is basically a clear powder, with bits of holographic glitter in it. Rather than have the strip run the width of the card, I trimmed it shorter, cut one end into a banner shape, and glued it on the right side, towards the bottom.

As a final touch, I added a coat of Star Dust Stickles to the cupcake icing, and Glossy Accents to the cherry. I will be sending this card to Send a Smile 4 Kids.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your sweet card for our Birthday Celebration recipe challenge at Bugaboo Stamps.
    Jen Leeflang
    Bugaboo DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!