Friday, January 2, 2015

A Good Day


This is my second card for the Send a Smile 4 Kids "Winter Fun 4 Kids" challenge. I must admit, it was kind of hard coming up with ideas for winter cards. Hopefully this one fits the bill.

I first chose my stamps. When I was looking for my "Winter Penguin" stamp set for this card, I came across Lawn Fawn's "Winter Sparrows" set, and thought it would be great for a card for this challenge. I wanted a more substantial branch than the one that is in that set, so I die cut one from brown cardstock using Impression Obsession's "Bare Branch" die. I also stamped my birdies in Memento Tuxedo Black ink, colored them with colored pencils and Gamsol, and die cut them with the coordinating dies.

For the background, I die cut a piece of white cardstock with the largest of Lawn Fawn's "Large Stitched Rectangles" dies. I taped off the edges, up to the faux stitching lines, to create a white border, a tip I got from watching Nichol Magouirk on YouTube. Then I blended Tumbled Glass, Broken China, and Peacock Feathers Distress inks to create the sky. I knew I wanted to use one of the "positive" greetings from this stamp set, so I wanted a daytime-looking sky.

To assemble the card, I first applied dots of glue to the back of the branch. After daubing off the excess on scratch paper (a tip from Debby Hughes), I used my tweezers to position it and stuck it down. I positioned my birdies where I wanted them, and stamped the music note from the "Winter Sparrows" set in Tuxedo Black ink around them. I also stamped the greeting in Tuxedo Black in the lower right corner. After applying foam tape to the backs of the birds, I stuck them down on the branch. Finally, I mounted the completed panel to an A2 card base. I will be sending this card to SAS4Kids.

I'm also entering this card in Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Anything Goes" challenge.

3 comments:

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!