The current challenge at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog is to combine the old with the new. I decided to combine a new-to-me die (from My Favorite Things' "Many Thanks" set), a new-to-me technique (camouflaged die cuts, learned from a video by Laura Bassen), and a (relatively) older patterned paper and stamp set.
I saw the camouflaged die cuts technique in this video Laura Bassen did for Papertrey Ink. To do my version, I first created my card front panel by adhering a piece of patterned paper (I believe by Lawn Fawn) from my scrap stash to the bottom of a piece of light teal cardstock. I positioned my "thanks" die so that it overlapped both pieces, and ran it through my die cutting machine. I also die cut about 6 or 7 more "thanks" from the teal cardstock.
Next, I cut a scrap of teal cardstock large enough to go behind the die cut word in my card front, and ran it through my Xyron machine to apply adhesive to one side. I stuck that to the back of my panel, behind the die cut area, adhesive side facing out. Then I took one of my teal "thanks" die cuts, and placed it in the negative space, adhering it to the cardstock piece underneath. I used liquid glue to adhere the remaining die cuts, one on top of another, finishing with the "two-toned" thanks on the top of the stack. Not only does this give it added dimension, it helps the word stand out a little, so that it is legible.
|Detail of die cut thanks dimension|
After I'd adhered all the die cuts in place, I stamped the "lots of" from this stamp set in Versafine Onyx Black ink, above the thanks. I also stamped the "for thinking of me" onto another scrap of teal cardstock, cut it into a strip, angled one end, and glued it below the thanks. All that was left to do was adhere the card front to an A2 card base, and round the top corners with my 1/2" Corner Chomper.
I'm also entering this card in Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Something New" challenge.