Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Celebrate

Day 4's theme for Bugaboo Stamps' 5th Birthday Celebration is a color challenge. They posted this palette, and challenged people to use those colors in a card:


This was indeed a challenge for me, since I'm not used to using these colors together. But that's the point, isn't it? I created the following card for this challenge:


I decided to use Bugaboo's "Frame It - Bears Birthday" digital image for this challenge. After printing it onto a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper, I used my Inktense pencils and a damp paintbrush to color the image. After the color had dried, I applied a wash of diluted Squeezed Lemonade Distress ink to the background, inside the frame area. Finally, I added some shimmer with my clear Wink of Stella glitter brush marker to the balloons and party hat. I also added some Glossy Accents to the bears' noses.

For the card base, I decided to keep it simple, since there was so much going on in the focal panel. I cut a piece of dark teal cardstock to 4.25x11", and scored it at 5.5" to create a top-folding card. I marked the position of the focal panel, and stamped the "celebrate" from this stamp set below that area, using Versamark ink. I heat embossed that with Ranger Liquid Platinum embossing powder. This was the first time I'd used this particular powder. I like it, but I'm not sure it works on dark colors so well. It just seemed to blend in a little too much. So, rather than start over on the card base, I took a white gel pen and adding some highlighting to the letters. Problem solved! Finally, I adhered the focal panel in place, added white cardstock to line the inside, so it can be written in, and this card was done! I will be sending this card to Send a Smile 4 Kids, for a hospitalized child to get on his/her birthday.

4 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job using this color combination! Great idea to keep the design simple and non fussy.
    Thanks for joining Bugaboo's birthday celebration and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card. Great job using all those colors :-) Thanks for joining us at Catch the Bug for our 5th Birthday Bash. Cindy-GDT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Bears, gorgeous colours. Thanks for joining us for Bugaboo's 5th Annual birthday bash, Dawn DT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable, Andrea. Love the CAS design. Thanks for joining the Bugaboo Birthday celebration this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!