Friday, January 16, 2015

You Color My World


Catch the Bug (Bugaboo Stamps' blog) is currently having their first sketch challenge of 2015--Stella Says Sketch #301. I created this card based on their sketch:


I originally was going to follow the sketch exactly and create a landscape-oriented card. But I ended up having to rotate it 90 degrees to make it work with my image & greeting.

I chose Bugaboo's "Color My World" bear & accompanying greeting for my card. I had to do a little "surgery" on the greeting first. It comes as a 3-line greeting. But I knew that wouldn't work on my design, so I moved the "color" up beside the "you," and put the "my world..." underneath. I printed that onto a piece of white cardstock cut to 1x2.5". For the image, I die cut a piece of 90 lb. watercolor paper with an old Spellbinders label die, and printed the bear on that. (Sorry, but I don't know the name of the die set, and it seems to be discontinued.)

I colored the bear & crayon with Inktense pencils, blending with a damp paintbrush. Once that dried, I inked around the edges with Salty Ocean Distress ink, just to provide a little more definition.

I chose a piece of patterned paper from Basicgrey's "Hey, Girl!" 6x6" paper pad, with the intention of having that be the background. But I ended up cutting it down into a 1.25x4.25" strip, to go only behind the greeting.

I had a piece of navy cardstock that I'd cut to 4.25x5.5" some time ago, which I ended up using for my background. I adhered the patterned paper strip towards the bottom of that. After cutting 2 banner ends from the same cardstock as I'd used for the greeting piece, I adhered the greeting piece to those with foam tape, to create a "faux" folded banner. Then I glued that piece to the patterned paper strip. I popped the focal panel up with foam tape, and adhered the completed card front to an A2 size card base. As a finishing touch, I added a bit of Glossy Accents to the bear's nose. I will be sending this card to Operation Write Home, for an overseas hero to send home to his/her child.

1 comment:

  1. This is just adorable, thanks for playing in our first Stella Says Sketch Challenge of 2015 at Catch The Bug. Hope to see you playing along again soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!