Thursday, November 13, 2014

Two Holiday Cards


Day 6 of Online Card Classes' "Holiday Card Workshop 2014" focused on coloring. Debby Hughes created a beautiful card that incorporated using colored pencils on kraft cardstock. This is my take on her card.

I die cut the tag from kraft cardstock using one of the dies from My Favorite Things' "Blueprints 13" set. I stamped the Christmas tree (source unknown) in Versamark, white heat embossed it, & used colored pencils to color it in. When that was done, I used Simon Says Stamp's "Falling Snow" stencil, and applied Golden Light Molding Paste over that. I sprinkled Ranger Holographic embossing powder over the wet molding paste, and let the paste dry. Finally, I heated the embossing powder until it melted, giving the snow a little glittery touch. I punched a hole in the top of the tag, and tied red and green bakers twine through it. I adhered the tag to a piece of white cardstock using foam tape.

I stamped the "Joy" (source unknown) in Versamark on a piece of vellum and heat embossed that with Ranger Gold embossing powder. I added a couple little pieces of Kool-Tak clear foam adhesive behind the "j" & "o," (so it would be level with the tag) and some glue behind the "y." Then I wrapped that around the card front panel, and glued the ends to the back.

I felt the front was a bit empty, so I dabbed spots of Heidi Swapp's "Gold" Color Shine spray ink onto the white cardstock. I also rounded the top left corner with my 1/2" Corner Chomper. I matted that onto a piece of green cardstock, and mounted it onto an A2 card base, again rounding the top left corner. I will be sending this card to Send a Smile 4 Kids, to go to a hospitalized child.

I'm entering this card in Send a Smile 4 Kids' "Happy Holidays 4 Kids" challenge.


My second card was inspired by Jennifer McGuire's lesson on Day 4--one-layer cards. I began by die cutting a window with a Spellbinders "Grand Scalloped Ovals" die in the front of a 4.5x7.25" card. I used the placement of the window to guide where I stamped my "Tree with Ornaments" image (by Hero Arts) on the inside. I colored the tree & ornaments with colored pencils, using Gamsol on a paper stump to blend the colors.

To finish the front, I white heat embossed the greeting (source unknown), centered below the window. I used a piece of paper inside the card to mask that off, and blended Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean, and Chipped Sapphire Distress inks to create an ombre effect on the front. I went around the front with a white gel pen, to create faux stitching lines.

Inside of card
For the inside sentiment, I used one from Simon Says Stamp's "Inside Holiday Greetings" set. I stamped it below the tree (where it would be behind the bottom of the front) in Versafine Onyx Black ink. And that finished off this card.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

a2z Scrapbooking's November "Anything Goes"

5 comments:

  1. What a fun little holiday tree ... so glad you joined us at the November Challenge at a2z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woweeeeeeeee! You never cease to amaze me...love all your workshop cards and wish I had been able to make that many! Thanks for playing again with us at a2z !

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 super cards! Glad you joined us at a2z Scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, such pretty cards! Love the window showing the tree full of ornaments; thanks for joining us at a2z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute cards, love the card with the tag. Thanks for playing along with a2z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!