Saturday, November 8, 2014

Dip-Dyed Christmas Tag Card


This is another card inspired by a lesson from Day 1 at Online Card Classes' "Holiday Card Workshop 2014." The theme for that day was cards that are easy to reproduce. Debby Hughes did a demonstration with dip-dyed looking tags. Apparently this is a popular look right now, at least on Pinterest. This is my take on that card.

I die cut my tag from watercolor paper using one of the dies from My Favorite Things' "Blueprints 13" set. I also die cut the snowflake 3 times, using a Spellbinders "2013 Snowflake Pendants" die. I glued the snowflakes together to create a thicker die cut. I also heat embossed a snowflake (source unknown) on white cardstock, using Ranger Silver embossing powder, and die cut it with a Spellbinders "Standard Circles LG" die.

I created the dip-dyed tag following the instructions in Debby's tutorial. I used Salty Ocean Distress ink, & sprayed it with a homemade Perfect Pearls spray. Then I spritzed my tag with plain water, and soaked up some of the ink, allowing it to move and blend. I set that aside to dry naturally, while I worked on the rest of the card.

I cut a panel of white cardstock slightly smaller than an A2 size card, and flicked Heidi Swapp "Gold" Color Shine mist onto it. I also blended Worn Lipstick Distress ink over the heat embossed snowflake piece, just to add a bit of warmth to the card.

For the greeting, I stamped and silver heat embossed one from Hero Arts "Very Merry Christmas" set onto another piece of white cardstock. I cut it into a banner shape, and inked the edges with Worn Lipstick.

Finally it was time to assemble the card. I threaded red bakers twine through the hole I'd punched in the tag, and glued the tag to the front panel. I determined where I wanted the greeting, and glued that down. Actually, if I do this type of technique again, I won't cover up as much of the tag, since you can't really see the dip-dyed effect on it. I had adhered the stamped snowflake circle to the middle of the die cut snowflake with foam tape, and just glued that assemblage to the card front. Finally, I adhered the front panel to an A2 card base, sandwiching the ends of the bakers twine in between.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Hero Arts' Holiday Challenge: "White Out" & "Anything Goes"
a2z Scrapbooking's November challenge: "Anything Goes"

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful card! Love the look of your dip-dyed tag! Glad you joined us at a2z Scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome dip-dyed effect on your tag ... and such a gorgeous holiday card ... so very glad you joined us for the November Challenge at a2z Scrapbook Supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card! Love the look of the dip-dyed tag. Thanks for joining a2z Scrapbooking challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute card, and fun technique!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that snowflake! Great card! Thanks for joining in the challenge at the a2z Scrapbooking blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, this is stinkin' cool! love it! glad you joined us at a2z too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely card! Love the dip-dyed technique; I'll have to try it myself. ;) Thanks for joining us over at a2z Scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!