Thursday, November 6, 2014

Two Christmas Cards


I'm currently participating in Online Card Classes' "Holiday Card Workshop 2014." Day 1 focused on cards that are easy to reproduce. I used Kristina Werner's example for my card.

I first cut a piece of navy cardstock to size, and blended Black Soot Distress ink over the top third or so. I stamped & heat embossed my focal image (source unknown) with Ranger Super Fine Detail White embossing powder. Then I taped the "Falling Snow" stencil by Simon Says Stamp over it, and applied Golden Light Molding Paste through the stencil.

After the molding paste had dried, I adhered the navy panel to a piece of kraft cardstock cut to 4.25x5.5". I tied red bakers twine around the kraft, and added faux stitching with a white gel pen above the main panel. I adhered the finished card front to an A2 size card base, and rounded the upper right corner with my 1/2" Corner Chomper.


Day 3's focus was on watercolor. I first printed the "Two Snowmen" image from Bugaboo Digi Stamps onto a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper. After letting the ink dry for a bit, I colored in the snowmen's accessories, arms, and the potted tree with Inktense pencils, blending with a damp paintbrush. I added subtle shading to the snowmen's bodies & the ground with a light blue watercolor pencil and my brush. It doesn't show up well in the photo, but it adds just a bit of depth. Finally, I used a larger brush to wet the background with clear water, then added blue watercolor pigment to create a sky. I just kept adding pigment and moving it around until I got the look that I wanted. Finally, I set that aside to dry.

I stamped the greeting (source unknown) onto a piece of light blue cardstock using Versafine Onyx Black ink, and cut it into a narrow strip. I also cut a piece of green patterned paper from my scrap stash to a standard A2 card size. I adhered the dry watercolor panel to the background, and glued the greeting strip underneath. I will be sending this card to Send a Smile 4 Kids, hopefully to brighten the spirits of a hospitalized child this holiday season.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Send a Smile 4 Kids "Happy Holidays 4 Kids"
Catch the Bug's "Anything Goes"

3 comments:

  1. Cute snowmen card, Debbie - I saw it entered on the SAS4Kids site. This is a darling Bugaboo image and you've colored it up so nicely - fantastic card for a child !!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Super job on your watercoloring. I'm having a blast in the Holiday Card Workshop and this was one of my favorite days. In fact, I treated myself to a Kuratake set of watercolors that I found on Amazon. Thanks for sharing this at Send a Smile 4 Kids. Perfect for the Holiday entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the snowman card! Thank you so much for linking up with us in our “November Anything Goes” challenge at Catch The Bug! Please join us, again, next time, for a new challenge and more chances to win! ~~Sammibug~~ DT Member For Bugaboo Stamps

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!