Saturday, November 15, 2014

Sweets for the Snowman

(This is my second post today. You can find my Guest DT post for Send a Smile 4 Kids here.)



The theme for the current challenge at Bugaboo Digi Stamp's challenge blog is "Show Us Your Food." I decided to use this cute marshmallow snowman with the giant candy cane.

I knew I wanted a large panel to showcase the image, and the following sketch from Operation Write Home fit the bill:


This sketch is not new to me, but I had never been able to figure out what to do with that 1" square on the right. It just seemed like an odd design element. But I finally decided to go for it and use this sketch for my card. I ended up using a snowflake button in place of the square.

I cut a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper to size, and printed the image on that. I colored it in with Inktense pencils, using a damp paintbrush to blend the colors and add shading.

After I'd finished the coloring, I smooshed some Tumbled Glass Distress ink onto an acrylic block. I wet the are of the sky with clean water, and then applied a wash of Tumbled Glass to it, blending it out until I got the look I wanted. Then I set that panel aside to dry.

I used 2 patterned papers from my scrap stash for the background. I cut the blue stripe piece to 4.25x5.5", and added the 1.5x4.25" polka dot strip about 1" up from the bottom of the blue piece. When the focal panel had dried, I adhered that, centered on the background. I threaded blue embroidery floss through the button, tying it in a knot, and glued the button in place with a little Ranger Multi Medium (matte finish). And that finished off this card. Very simple design and coloring, but I think the relatively large image has impact. I will be donating this card to this year's Caring Hearts Card Drive, so it will hopefully cheer up a nursing home resident this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!