Sunday, October 18, 2020

Thinking of You

The theme of the October Monthly Mix challenge at Gina K Designs is "Color Blocking." I created this card for a friend of my mom's who is going through some trying times right now.
 
A photo I found on Pinterest inspired the background design. I decided to do a nearly-one-layer card, and ink the background, rather than cutting & adhering sections of cardstock. I used Distress inks in Milled Lavender, Dried Marigold, Squeezed Lemonade, Tattered Rose, Cracked Pistachio, & Tumbled Glass. (I was going for kind of a pastel rainbow vibe.) I began by penciling in guidelines on my panel, using a T-square ruler to make sure everything was straight & square. I taped off the 1" strip along the left side with one long piece of yellow Frog tape, and used more Frog tape pieces to mask off each triangle as I went along. I inked each triangle section one by one, making sure to spread my colors out so no two adjacent sections were the same color.
 
Once I finished the left column, I removed my tape and dried the ink with my heat tool. I then taped off that column to mask it. I repeated the same inking process on the wider column, taping off to mask as I went with each color.
 
I heat embossed the flower & greeting, from Gina K's "Peaceful Florals" set, with Ranger Liquid Platinum embossing powder. I figured the background was too pretty to cover up, so decided not to stamp & color the flower on a separate panel. To mat my panel, I found a textured platinum metallic cardstock in my stash. I trimmed that to leave a 1/16" border on all sides, then adhered that to a white A2-sized card base.

2 comments:

  1. Love all the different colors you used. Thanks for playing along in the Gina K. Designs Monthly Mix Challenge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!