Friday, October 23, 2020

Merry Christmas Penguin

 

The current Christmas Card Throwdown challenge has the theme of "Winter Sweaters." I decided to pull out an old Hunkydory Crafts, Ltd. stamp set that I got in a papercrafting magazine a couple of years ago for my card. My design is from an old Operation Write Home sketch.


I began by stenciling the panel to go behind my image panel. I used the "Holiday Knit" stencil by Tim Holtz. I figured this reinforces the "sweater" theme even more! :) After I sprayed the back of the stencil with Krylon Easy Tack, I positioned it onto my cardstock piece. I used Worn Lipstick, Faded Jeans, & Bundled Sage Distress inks over the stencil. I masked adjacent sections of the design with yellow Frog tape as I went.

To tie into the theme yet again, I used a piece of Lawn Fawn's Knit Picky 6x6" patterned paper--a freebie I received with an order--as the background of my card. I cut it to 4x5-1/2", & adhered it to a white A2-sized card base. I layered a piece of sage green cardstock from my scrap stash over that. I matted my knit-stenciled panel with a narrow black mat, and adhered that in place.

I stamped the reindeer antlers head piece first on my Strathmore Smooth Bristol paper panel, then masked it. I stamped the penguin on that panel, and stamped the sweater on another scrap of bristol. I colored the images with my Tombow markers, using the blender pen to add highlighting. Finally, I fussy cut the sweater, "painted" the edges with a black marker to hide the paper's white core, & glued it over my penguin.

I chose a greeting from the same stamp set, & stamped it in black on a strip of light blue cardstock. After I matted that in black, I added 3 Bottle Green Nuvo Crystal Drops to the one end. I let that dry overnight, before adhering that & my image panel to my card.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

7 comments:

  1. What a sweet image and beautiful design! Thanks so much for playing in our challenge at Christmas Card Throwdown
    Majda DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little penguin in his cozy jumper. Fabulous coloring! ... I also love the perfectly matching design paper! Thank you so much for playing along with us at 52CCT. Rosi x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!