Thursday, August 6, 2015

Four "Background Check" Cards

Tomorrow is the last full day for live access to Online Card Classes' "Background Check," before they archive everything. :( It's been a fun class, and I've learned new techniques, gotten a few backgrounds done, and made some cards from those backgrounds. These are 4 of those cards.


My first one was inspired by some that Kristina Werner did on Day 3. (I told how I did the background in this post.) I die cut a piece of vellum with the largest of Spellbinders' "Classic Ovals SM" dies, and heat embossed it with Hero Arts' "Looped Flower" background stamp & Ranger Silver embossing powder. I die cut another oval, using the same die set, from white cardstock. I stamped the greeting, from Simon Says Stamp's "Summer Garden" set, on that, and heat embossed it with silver as well. I glued the vellum piece onto my background, using dots of Ranger Multi Medium Matte, & hiding the adhesive behind the embossed spots on the vellum. Then I glued the greeting panel on top, and added a few Pretty Pink Posh 4mm & 6mm Sparkling Clear sequins. I also cut a thin strip of silver cardstock, and adhered it along the right side of the panel, then mounted the whole thing to a white A2 card base.


My next 2 cards were inspired by Laura Bassen, and were actually really simple to put together. For the first, I die cut a window in my background, using a Spellbinders "Standard Circles SM" die. I positioned the background on the front of a white A2 card base, and traced where the window was. I then stamped my greeting, from Simon Says Stamp's "Big Birthday Wishes" set, within that circle, using Versafine Onyx Black ink & clear heat embossing. I cut a piece of fun foam slightly smaller than the background, and cut out a hole where the window would go. Then I adhered that with a strong, double-sided adhesive tape, and mounted the completed card front to my card base.


I followed pretty much the same procedure for my second card, using a Spellbinder's "Labels Four" die for the window. I heat embossed my greeting, from My Favorite Things' "Simply Fabulous Sayings," on a piece of dark blue cardstock, using Ranger Super Fine Detail White embossing powder. I added foam tape to my background this time, and adhered it over the blue, before mounting it to my white A2 card base. I finished up by adding some White Opal Liquid Pearls.


Kristina Werner inspired my final card as well. I used one of the stamps from Echo Park's This & That "Graceful #2" stamp set for my greeting. I masked off the "Happy" with painter's tape, and inked up the rest with Hero Arts' Soft Granite. After removing the tape, I stamped the greeting on a strip of white cardstock, using my MISTI. I ended up having to repeat the process, since the first stamping wasn't dark or even enough. Then I masked off everything but the "Happy," and inked it up with Hero Arts' Butter Bar. I stamped that twice as well, and then cut the cardstock into a banner shape. I inked the edges with Wild Honey Distress ink, and stitched along the top with some light grey thread. Finally, I adhered my greeting, and mounted the completed card front to an A2 card base. I will be sending all these cards to Send a Smile 4 Kids.

2 comments:

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!