Sunday, August 9, 2015

Happy Birthday Double Slider Card


We finally got to celebrate my brother's birthday this weekend. His actual birthday is July 29, but we didn't get a chance to get together until yesterday. I made this card for him, and stuck a gift card to one of his favorite eateries inside.

I followed this tutorial by Julie Davison to create the card. I used teal cardstock for the main card "base," & a patterned paper from the BasicGrey "Fact" 6x6" paper pad for the wrapper. I don't have the Word Window punch by Stampin' Up, which she used for the notches the slider goes around. So I just guessed the dimensions and used a ruler & craft knife to cut my notches. For the slider mechanism, I first tried cutting a strip from a plastic shopping bag. When that proved too difficult, I switched to a plastic bread bag--success!

To decorate the front of the card, I stamped the cupcake base & top from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps' "Birthday Bash" set on white cardstock. I used Hero Arts Cup o' Joe ink for the icing, and Pool for the wrapper. Then I cut both pieces with the coordinating dies (discontinued). I glued the cupcake wrapper to a piece of red cardstock, and adhered the top part with foam tape. I colored in the sprinkles on the icing with a yellow glitter gel pen, then dotted Glossy Accents over each for a bit of dimension & shine.


For the lower inside panel, I stamped a greeting from the same stamp set in Pool ink on white cardstock, & matted that with yellow cardstock. I punched a hole with my 1/8" hole punch in the other piece of yellow, and threaded yellow baker's twine through it, to make it easier to pull (which reveals the inside panels). Finally, I added a drop of Tombow Mono Multi glue to the back of the gift card, and let that dry. If you let that glue dry before sticking the pieces together, it forms a temporary bond, so the gift card (in this case) can be easily removed. He seemed really impressed, not only by the gift card, but the engineering for the "wrapping" as well! :)

I'm entering my card in Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Tie It Up" challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous card! Such a fun design!! Love it!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!