Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Two More Backgrounds

Online Card Classes' "Background Check" class ends this week *sniff*. I've created several backgrounds during class, and even turned a couple of them into cards! Here are two more backgrounds.

Laura Bassen had a lesson for Day 5 of class on using a stencil and embossing paste over an ink-blended background. I used Distress inks in Mermaid Lagoon, Shaded Lilac, and Cracked Pistachio for my background. I must admit, I wasn't sure how the Cracked Pistachio & Shaded Lilac would blend, since the lilac has red, which is the complement of Cracked Pistachio's green. But I guess because both colors are so light, I didn't create any real "mud"! I started out with Mermaid Lagoon at the bottom, going about halfway up the panel. Then I added the Shaded Lilac, and finished with Cracked Pistachio at the top. I did go back over each "border" between the strips of color, with both colors involved, to get a smooth blend. I also made sure to use a light hand when inking. That's a trick I'm still trying to get used to.

After I'd finished inking, I taped the "Pointed Star" stencil by Jenni Bowlin over the panel, then spread Golden Light Molding Paste through the stencil. Once I had the coverage I wanted, I removed the stencil and cleaned it, my palette knife, & non-stick craft mat immediately. (This is important, to keep the paste from hardening and becoming pretty much impossible to remove from your stencil & tools.) Then I set the background aside to dry.

Shari Carroll's lesson on Day 5 inspired my second background. She demonstrated faux letterpress. I've tried this technique before with embossing folders & dye ink, usually with less-than-stellar results. She showed it using a background die and pigment ink. So I decided to give that a try.

I used 110 lb. white cardstock for this. You really need a good, heavyweight cardstock, to avoid having the die cut through the paper. This can happen, even with setting up your die cutting "sandwich" for embossing. (Ask me how I know! LOL) I don't have many background dies, but thought the "Butterfly Magic" from Spellbinders would make a pretty background. I used a piece of painter's tape to tape the die to my embossing mat, and some temporary adhesive to keep my cardstock in place underneath. I inked the die up with Stampabilities' "Light Pink" pigment ink, then carefully lowered it onto my cardstock. I then ran that through my Spellbinders Grand Calibur. Even though I did get some ink spots outside the lines, I still am very pleased with how this came out! Now I just have to turn my backgrounds into finished cards. Stay tuned...! :)


  1. The combination of distress inks on your first background is so pretty.


I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!