Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Happy Birthday



The current Fusion Challenge is "Summer." The ice cream cone image & overall color scheme in the inspiration photo provided the jumping-off point for my card.


I first stamped the cone from Hero Arts' "Color Layering Ice Cream" (discontinued) with Memento Desert Sand ink. I stamped it 4 or 5 times with my MISTI stamp positioning tool, to get good solid coverage. I stamped the detail layer twice with Memento Toffee Crunch after heat setting the Desert Sand layer.

I used Lawn Fawn's Sunflower ink, and Memento Ladybug & New Sprout inks for the ice cream scoops. I placed a strip of scrap white cardstock in my MISTI, stamped the solid scoop layer with the yellow, cleaned the stamp, moved the strip up in my MISTI, stamped the green, & repeated for the red. I stamped the green 3 times to get a darker image that went better with the embossing powder I'd chosen.

I dried the ice cream images with my heat tool, and treated the cardstock with my anti-static powder bag. I placed the strip back in my MISTI, and stamped the yellow scoop with Versamark ink. I heat embossed that with Wow Opaque Primary Sunny Yellow embossing powder. I repeated that process with American Crafts Zing Leaf powder, & Ranger Red Geranium powder for the green & red scoops, respectively. After the embossing cooled, I die cut the 3 scoops & cone with the coordinating dies.

For my card front, I chose a sand colored cardstock. I adhered a 1" wide strip of teal cardstock along the left side, and machine-stitched 3 patterned paper banners at the top right corner.

The birthday greeting in "Color Layering Ice Cream" didn't fit my design, so I pulled the Happy Birthday from another Hero Arts set (fittingly called, "Happy Birthday"). I triple-stamped it onto a scrap of yellow cardstock with Ladybug ink, then cut that into a narrow strip.

I went ahead & glued the ice cream scoops & the cone together, so I could move it around as one unit. I determined where I wanted it, and where it would intersect the greeting strip. I drew a light pencil line on the greeting strip just inside the right edge of the cone, & cut along that line. I adhered my greeting to the card, and glued my ice cream cone in place. There was a bit too much space between the cone & the greeting, so I used the small heart from "Color Layering Ice Cream" as a "filler image." I will send this card to a friend of ours whose birthday is later this month.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Creative Knockouts Challenge #361: "Tic-Tac-Toe" (did the middle column: embossing, image, & sentiment)

6 comments:

  1. What a fun and yummy design! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Dies R Us challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DIES R US
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a colorful and happy card! Love it! So glad you were able to play along with us at Fusion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun card and I love the stitching! So glad you joined us for our Tic-Tac-Toe Challenge at Creative Knockouts!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!