Friday, August 7, 2020

One Sketch, Two Cards

The current sketch challenge at Christmas Card Throwdown inspired the design for both of my cards:




For my first card, I chose the ornament image from Sunny Studio's "Holiday Style" stamp set. I first used the coordinating dies to cut the ornament & topper 4 times from white cardstock. I placed the negative space in my MISTI stamp positioning tool, & temporarily adhered an ornament & a topper in their respective "holes." I stamped each with the first base color, then replaced them with unstamped die cuts, and stamped with the second base color. I repeated that for all 4 ornaments & toppers. That way, I didn't have to keep repositioning the stamps, which made things much faster. Once the first layer was stamped & dried (so the inks wouldn't blend), I positioned & stamped the second layers as I had with the first. I used Hero Arts Fresh Peach & My Favorite Things Coral Crush inks for the coral ornament; Hero Arts Pool & Memento Teal Zeal for the light blue; Altenew Vanilla Cream & Memento Cantaloupe for the yellow; & finally Memento Danube Blue & Lawn Fawn Deep Sea for the dark blue. For the toppers, I used Hero Arts Soft Granite & Black inks.

I glued each topper to an ornament, so I could maneuver them as one unit. After I adhered the patterned papers to my card base, I roughly positioned the ornaments. I went ahead and tacked them down with ATG adhesive instead of liquid glue, so if I had to move them I could pull them up easily.

I cut a banner from a pale cream cardstock, to echo the yellow ornament and coordinate with the patterned paper strip. I used Lawn Fawn's "Milo's ABCs" to stamp the greeting, using Teal Zeal, Coral Crush, & Deep Sea inks for the words.
 
I positioned the greeting banner, and repositioned the ornaments so everything was a bit more centered. To make sure the ornaments wouldn't detach, I did squirt some liquid glue under each. I tied a triple bow from metallic thread for each ornament & the banner, and glued those in place. After the glue dried, I adhered my card front to a white A2-size card base.
I used Paper Smooches' "A Blessed Christmas" stamp set for my second card. I stamped 3 of the images onto Strathmore Vellum Bristol paper with Simon Says Stamp's Fog ink. After die cutting them with circle dies, I colored each with my Prismacolor colored pencils. To provide a little definition between the circles, I inked around the perimeter of each with Speckled Egg Distress ink. Finally, I stamped my greeting on another scrap of bristol in Gina K Charcoal Brown ink, die cut that into a circle, and inked the perimeter.

I adhered a piece of green "crackle" patterned paper from The Paper Studio to a 7-1/4x4-1/2" white card base. (I have a stash of envelopes for that rather odd card size, so I'm trying to use them up!) I cut a strip from a scrap of holiday paper from my stash and adhered it along the bottom. I created a banner grouping with another piece of that scrap & 2 other scraps.

I positioned my circles in the pattern I wanted, and went ahead & glued them together, so I could move them around as one unit. I positioned my banner grouping at the top of the card, 1/2" in from the right edge. I glued my focal circle unit down with the left edge 1/2" from that edge of the card. And that finished this card!

I'm also entering both cards in 613 Avenue Create's August Challenge: "Anything Goes" (not playing the twist).

10 comments:

  1. Andrea: both interpretations of our 52 CCT August sketch are fantastic!!! Brilliant! Thanks for linking to 52 CCT blog! --Becca/DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 lovely cards, and a great tip on using the negative die cut for positioning and repeat stamping in the stamp platform. Thanks for playing along at 52CCT ths week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two absolutely wonderful and festive Christmas cards! - couldn't say which one I like better!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at 52CCT. Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job interpreting the sketch and your paper choices are perfect! Thanks for sharing you project with us at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your creations are beautiful and well crafted! Thanks so much for another inspiring submission to our challenge at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!