Friday, July 31, 2020

Two Christmas Cards




Christmas Card Throwdown's current challenge theme is "Sewing." I created 2 cards for this challenge.


For the design of my first card, I used the sketch from Catch the Bug's Stella Says Sketch Challenge #812. I rotated the sketch 90 degrees. I used Bugaboo Stamps' "Mistletoe Bell" image (discontinued), with a vellum overlay for my greeting. I first sized the image in Photoshop, and printed it onto a panel of Strathmore Vellum Bristol paper. I colored it with my Prismacolor colored pencils. I used Gamsol to blend the first layer of color, then went in with more layers, finally using my pencils to burnish the color.

View of image panel under vellum overlay
 
I found 2 patterned papers in my scrap stash for the background. To provide visual separation between the image panel & the bell patterned paper especially, I matted the image panel with a 1/16" dark green mat. I used a strip of that same cardstock along the left edge of my card.

I heat embossed the greeting with Ranger Gold Super Fine Detail embossing powder onto a piece of Essentials by Ellen 40 lb. vellum that I'd cut to the same size as the image panel. I lined it up with the image panel, & poked holes along the top edge every 1/8". I use gold thread to stitch the overlay to the image panel. I adhered that to my card, and that finished card #1.


I used Sketch #SC727 from Splitcoaststampers.com as the design for my second card. I first stamped the lamp image from Inky Antics "Decorated for Christmas" set onto a scrap of 140 lb. watercolor paper. I die cut that with a "Large Stitched Oval" die from Lawn Fawn. I used watercolors to paint the image. I wanted to provide a matting effect, but didn't want to cut a larger oval. So I first inked around the perimeter with Speckled Egg Distress ink. That wasn't quite the right color, though, so I went over it with Faded Jeans Distress ink to darken & warm it up just a bit.

For the stitched strip, I used my We R Memory Keepers Sew Perfect tool (discontinued). I cut my strip longer than I needed, since it's basically impossible to know where the tool will pierce the holes. I lined up the Sew Perfect ruler along my cardstock, & ran the tool along that. Because the cardstock is thick, I did have to go back with my paper piercer to poke the holes fully through. After I trimmed the strip to 5-1/2" long, I followed the stitching diagram for that Sew Perfect roller head, with red & pale grey embroidery floss. I actually stitched the grey first, and realized my "error" when I went to stitch the red. I should have stitched the red first, since I wanted the grey floss on top. Thankfully, I was able to weave the red floss under the grey as I stitched, so no big deal. 😊

For the card front panel, I used one of the patterned papers from the "Believe" 6x6" pad by Authentique. I used strong double-sided tape to adhere my stitched strip to my card. I glued the oval in place over that. Then I adhered my card front to a white A2-size card base.

I stamped the greeting, from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps' "Christmas Joy" set (discontinued), onto a scrap of the same cardstock I'd used for my stitched strip. I used an Essentials by Ellen "Stitching Lines" die to add some faux cross-stitching to the right end of the greeting strip. I cut the other end in a "v," and adhered the banner to my card.

I'm also entering my cards in the following challenges:

613 Avenue Create: "Anything Goes" (playing the twist on the first card only)

18 comments:

  1. elles sont superbe ces cartes Andrea. chic et élégantes, merci de jouer avec nous chez 52CCT, biz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cards Thank you for entering our Anything Goes Challenge atThrough The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge. Good luck GinnyMy Blog As I do Rodos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card! Thanks for joining us at Christmas Card Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two gorgeous Christmas cards, Andrea!
    The first card surprised me with that awesome, gold embossed sentiment and then with the fact that the vellum can be opened and underneath it two Christmas bells appear! The second card captivates with its beautiful embroidered border! - Such a lovely idea!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown! Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. All three projects are lovely and beautifully crafted! Thanks so much for a wonderful submission to our challenge at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work, Andrea! Thanks so much for playing along! We look forward to seeing you in our August Challenge at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely card!
    Thank you for entering our Anything Goes Challenge at
    Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to seeing you again in our next challenge.
    Crafty Hugs x
    Debbie Maddock
    TTCRD DT
    { paperelftales.blogspot.com }

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful combination of colors and design!
    Thank you so much for joining us at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown.
    Majda DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic card. Thank you for joining us at 52CCT. Goga

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!