Monday, August 10, 2020

Happy Birthday

  

The lesson on Day 1 of My Favorite Things' Summer School 2020 inspired this card. It's all about the visual triangle. I actually created more than one triangle on my card: 1. the balloons; 2. each individual group of sequins; and 3. the three groups of sequins overall.

I have a lot of people's birthdays coming up that I need cards for, so I decided to make a birthday card. I die cut the balloons from pattern paper scraps, using My Favorite Things' "Birthday Balloons" die set (discontinued). I die cut the greeting with My Favorite Things' "Cause for Celebration" (also discontinued).

I grouped my rainbow balloons in 3 areas on my card front, to form my first visual triangle around the greeting. I glued them & the greeting in place, slightly overlapping the purple & blue balloons with the birthday word.

The "Birthday Balloons" die set includes string dies, but I wanted to use real string instead. So I pierced a hole on either side of each balloon's neck. I stitched 2 plies of white embroidery floss around each balloon neck, & then extended one end of the floss to a letter in the greeting. For the bottom 2 balloons, I just wrapped the floss around the bottom of the panel & taped the end on the back. Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I also tied 12 tiny bows with 1 ply of floss, & glued them to either end of each string. I felt this helped further anchor the strings, so it looked like they really were tied.

I matted my panel with a piece of mint green cardstock, & adhered it to a white A2-size card base. Finally, I added my 3 groups of sequins.

I'm also entering this card in Creative Knockouts Challenge #362: "Sparkle & Shine."

3 comments:

  1. What a bright and cheerful card, Andrea! I also love that you created more than just one visual triangle. Thank you for joining us at Creative Knockouts and hope to see you again soon. Hugs, Jinny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another super cute card Andrea, what a fun birthday card! Thank you for joining us in this week's Sparkle & Shine challenge over at Creative Knockouts! Good luck!

    Hugs,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!