Monday, August 15, 2016

Happy Birthday


Day 2 of My Favorite Things Camp Create is "Awesome Ombre." I was inspired by their video for that day, but decided to do my own take on an ombre greeting. Rather than stamping, I colored my glitter words with alcohol ink. My design came from Operation Write Home's Sketch #165.
I die cut one of the "Happy Duo" from silver glitter paper, and also used MFT's "Little Lowercase Letters" to die cut "birthday" from the same paper. I then used Ranger Adirondack Wild Plum alcohol ink on a cotton swab to color the bottom portion of the "happy." I applied Ranger Blending Solution to the other end of the swab, and daubed at the ink on the glitter paper to lighten the color & soften the edges as it went up the die cut. I also used the Wild Plum ink full strength to dye my "birthday" letters. Then I set those aside while I worked on the rest of my card.

To create an ombre background, I used Distress inks in Tumbled Glass, Broken China, Peacock Feathers, and a bit of Mermaid Lagoon at the very bottom of my white cardstock panel. I applied the inks with a mini ink blending tool, going over it several times to blend the colors, and fading out to almost white at the top.

I cut a strip of vellum to go behind my greeting, just to mute that part of the background a bit. After determining placement, I glued my die cuts with Perfect Paper Adhesive, then applied more PPA to the back of the vellum, hiding it behind my words. Then I adhered that to my background panel. I trimmed 2 narrow strips of pink cardstock, and die cut one long edge with a "Stitched Scalloped Borders" die from Lawn Fawn. I used more PPA to glue those to the top & bottom of my vellum strip. I wrapped a piece of ribbon around the left side of my card front, and adhered the ends to the back. Then I created a "faux" bow, following this tutorial. Finally, I mounted my card front to a white A2 card base.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Through the Craft Room Door "Anything Goes"
Live Love Cards August Challenge "Birthday Cards"

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful CAS card. Love the idea. Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Regards,
    Ann-Marie
    TTCRD DT
    Annemi {My Blog}
    Through The Craft Room Door
    ttcrd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!