Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Bring on the Cake!


A friend of mine has a birthday this week, so I decided to make a special card for her. I found this tutorial from Splitcoaststampers.com on making a lever card, and thought that would be perfect!

I cut & scored my card base & inside pieces from a light green cardstock, and adhered the inside to the card base, as per the instructions. Then I cut my patterned paper pieces, from a 12x12" sheet by Me and My Big Ideas. I did have to adjust the widths of the pieces, because I found the measurements given in the tutorial were off by 1/8". But it was no big deal, once I figured out what was going on.

For the focal panel on the "lever" portion, I stamped the cake & candles from Essentials by Ellen's "Wish Big" set. I colored them with my Prismacolor colored pencils, and cut them with the coordinating "Wish Big" dies. I glued the candles to the cake, and then glued that to a label I'd cut with a die from the Sizzix/Tim Holtz "Labels" set. I stamped the greeting, also from "Wish Big," under the cake, inked the edges of the label with Worn Lipstick Distress ink, and adhered the panel in place.

Card opened up. I forgot to photograph the card before I wrote my message, so I blurred that out.
I cut 2 more panels from the same pink cardstock I'd die cut the label from. On one, I stamped the "Wish Big" greeting, and a balloon from the same stamp set. After drawing the balloon string with a fine-tip black pen, I colored the balloon with a red Prismacolor pencil, and added a highlight with a white gel pen. I also colored in the "BIG" letters with the same red pencil. I rounded the corners of both panels with my 1/8" Corner Chomper (apparently discontinued), and inked the edges with Worn Lipstick. I adhered them in place, and my card was finished!

I'm entering my card in the following challenges:

Live Love Cards August Challenge: "Birthday Cards"
Craft Your Passion Challenges #326: "Anything Goes"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!