Monday, September 14, 2015

Two More Halloween Cards

I have been trying to use up a sheet of black cat & jack-o'-lantern stickers by Recollections I got on sale last year. These 2 cards, which I made for Send a Smile 4 Kids, got me even closer to that goal! :)

I got the inspiration for my first card from the "Boo" card in this post, that I'd found through Pinterest. (I also used that as the basis for the second card in this post.) It's a great design for using up scraps. I used patterned papers from the "Owloween Stew" 6x6" paper pad by Jillibean Soup, and Recollections' "Witch's Dust Halloween" collection. One of the requirements for SAS4Kids regarding Halloween cards is no creepiness (e.g. skulls, etc.). The right-most paper in this card actually has a skull in the pattern. But I was able to trim it so only part of the skull shows, which is partly covered by the focal panel, and is thus unrecognizable as a skull. One good way to turn down the scary factor!

Once I had cut and matted my patterned paper strips with black paper, I mounted them to a piece of purple cardstock I'd cut to 4.25x5.5". For the focal panel, I cut a piece of green cardstock and matted it with more black. I stamped the greeting, from a Hampton Art stamp set (name unknown), in the center with Versamark ink. I then heat embossed it with Stampendous Marcasite embossing powder. This is basically a black powder, but has lots of little sparkles in it. Really pretty when it catches the light! I used 2 of the cats from the sticker sheet, gluing them with Ranger Multi Medium Matte on each side of the greeting. Finally, I mounted the focal panel to the card front, and adhered that to a white A2 card base.

My second card is based on Operation Write Home's Sketch #199:

I flipped the sketch 90 degrees, and used the "Stitched Filmstrip" die by Pretty Pink Posh in place of the squares.

I cut a piece of patterned paper from "Owloween Soup" to 4x5.25" for the background. This is one of those busy patterns that can be hard to use in large portions, but doesn't lend itself well to being cut into small pieces either. But I felt the "Stitched Filmstrip" die cut gave enough relatively solid space to make it work.

I cut the filmstrip from purple cardstock, and inked all the edges with Dusty Concord Distress ink, to give them a bit more definition. I then backed it with a piece of green cardstock, that I cut a hair smaller than the die cut. I stamped the "BOO," using Lawn Fawn's "Riley's ABC's," in the center panel, and heat embossed it with Zing White embossing powder. I glued a jack-o'-lantern in each of the other sections, and glued on the googly eyes with Multi Medium Matte. After adhering that to my background paper, I matted the whole panel with black, and mounted it to a white A2 card base.

I'm entering my first card in Live Love Cards' September challenge: "Sparkle & Shine." (sparkly heat embossing)


  1. OMGoodness, I've fallen behind! :( I love these two cards, especially the kittys! So cute! :)

  2. These cards will definitely bring smiles to those kids' faces! Love the layout on the first card too,..probably going to CASE that one for my Halloween cards :-)

  3. Cute cards Andrea--especially the kitties!!


I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!