Monday, September 7, 2015

Boo Times Two


I have two more Halloween cards I made for Send a Smile 4 Kids. The first one is VERY CAS. I got the idea from the "boo" tag in this post I found through Pinterest. I started by die cutting a tag using one of the "Tags a Lot" dies by Mama Elephant. I scanned that into my computer so that I could get my greeting sized correctly, and opened the image in Photoshop. I created two 1" black circles, and positioned them for the o's, so they would fit the 3/4" googly eyes I had perfectly. Then I typed the "B," and sized and positioned it to complete the word. Finally, I printed the "Boo" on the tag.

I die cut the little tag reinforcer from black paper, using another die from "Tags a Lot." I glued it in place with my 2-way glue pen, and pierced a hole for the brad from Recollections. I used some Ranger Multi Medium Matte to glue the eyes on, and set that aside to dry.

For the background, I die cut a piece of grey cardstock with the largest of Lawn Fawn's "Large Stitched Rectangle" dies. I taped it to my non-stick craft sheet with low-tack painter's tape, masking off the edges around the stitching. I used the "Dot Fade" stencil by Tim Holtz and Black Soot Distress ink on my mini ink blending tool to create the pattern on the background. Because the stencil was narrower than my panel, after I inked the first portion, I flipped it around, lined it up with the bottom row of dots, and inked the rest of the panel. To finish the card, I adhered the tag to the card front, then mounted that on a white A2 card base.


I got the idea for my second card from the "Boo" card on this post, also found through Pinterest. I decided not to go so "cutesy" with this one. I can see it being appropriate for a teenager.

I cut 5 strips from scraps of patterned paper from the Recollections "Witch's Dust Halloween" collection, and the "Owloween Stew" 6x6" pad by Jillibean Soup (the spiderweb pattern). I matted them with black, and cut the mats down to leave a 1/16" border all around each strip.

For the greeting panel, I cut a piece of textured orange cardstock. I printed my greeting, which I'd done in Photoshop, on that, and matted it with black. I pierced a hole in each corner, and inserted brads from Recollections, but didn't bend back the prongs yet. I took some black embroidery floss, threaded one end down through the upper left hole, and taped it to the back of the panel. I wrapped the floss around the brad in that corner, then took it across to the upper right brad, wrapped that, and continued until I'd gone all around the panel. Finally, I cut the floss, threaded the other end through the same hole as the first, and taped that to the back. Then I spread the brad prongs to attach them completely.

I adhered all the patterned paper strips to a piece of kraft cardstock I'd cut to 4.25x5.5", and adhered the greeting panel over those. I mounted the card front to a white A2 card base, and this card was done.

I'm entering my first card in Send a Smile 4 Kids' "Cute Fall or Halloween 4 Kids" challenge.

8 comments:

  1. Cute! The eyes are clever on the boo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, These little boo cards are adorable! So cute, so clever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both so cute! I love the googly eyes - I need to get out my googly eyes - I always forget to use them and they are so fun! Love all the fun patterns on your second card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first card is great, but I love the second one! What great colors and papers! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!