Thursday, May 15, 2014

thanx


The first 2 days of lessons in Online Card Classes' "Watercolor for Card Makers" class were on watercolor backgrounds. Agnieszka Malyszek is one of the guest instructors, and demonstrated creating a background by coloring on watercolor paper with watercolor pencils and then blending the color out with plain water. This card is my first take on that technique.

I based my design on Hero Arts' New Sketch Challenge Sketch #3. On my watercolor panel, I colored with various green Inktense pencils, then blended them with water. Unfortunately, the color variation is subtle and doesn't show up so well in the photo. But trust me--in real life it is pretty. I did feel the background was a bit bland, though. So I diluted Chipped Sapphire and Walnut Stain Distress inks with water and spattered them over the panel. I stamped the "thanx" from this Hero Arts stamp set on the watercolor paper in Ranger Jet Black Archival ink, then painted inside the letters with Chipped Sapphire ink and water.

I mounted the watercolor panel in the upper right corner of a piece of patterned paper, cut to 4.25x5.5", from my scrap stash. I punched a star with a Recollections punch out of navy cardstock, and then die cut that piece with a Spellbinders Standard Circles die. I die cut another circle from white cardstock that I'd painted with Silver Distress paint and glued that to the back of the punched piece, so the silver shows through the star.

I stamped the star-and-dot border from Simon Says Stamp's "All Boy" stamp set onto another piece of the same navy cardstock, and heat-embossed it with Ranger Silver embossing powder I glued the strip and star circle piece to the front of the card, along the bottom of the watercolor panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!