Thursday, May 29, 2014

Happy Birthday Rainbow



Sweet 'n Sassy Stamp's current challenge is to "Make it Colorful." They only ask that you use at least 5 colors (other than black and/or white) on your project. I figured, why stop at just five?! So I ended up using all 7 of the colors in a rainbow, in ROY G BIV order, around my card front.

My inspiration this time came from this post on Darlene DeVries' blog. She used Inktense pencils and water to create a rainbow effect. I basically followed her coloring technique exactly to create my card.

I started by cutting my panel of watercolor paper, and marked the center point. I lightly penciled lines going from that point out to the edges, to make sure I would have the right number of rays for the color pattern I used to come out evenly. Once I got that worked out, I erased my lines so they were just barely visible, then went over them with the Inktense pencils. I feathered the color out from the initial line into the rest of each section, to create a gradient. I colored every other ray first, to keep the colors from bleeding from one section into the next. Finally, I went back and filled in the remaining rays.

For my greeting, I used a stamp from this set by Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps. I stamped it with Versamark ink on black cardstock, then white heat-embossed it. I cut out the panel, and rounded the corners with my 1/8" Corner Chomper. I finished it by making a dashed line around the outer edges.

After my watercolor panel had dried, I rounded the corners with the 3/8" side of my Corner Chomper, doing the same to my card base. I felt the panel needed something more, like faux stitching, but was afraid to ruin all my hard work. So I started penciling in dashed stitching lines. I decided I liked the look, so I erased my pencil marks and went back with a black marker to do my "stitching."

I tried adhering a piece of black paper to the front of an A2 card base, to act as a mat for the watercolor panel. But I couldn't make it work out like I wanted. So I finally--and VERY carefully--inked over the front of a white card base with Black Soot Distress ink. Thankfully, I didn't get ink anywhere I didn't want it on the card! Finally, I adhered the greeting to my watercolor piece, and adhered the whole panel to the card front with foam tape.

I will be sending this colorful birthday card to Operation Write Home, so one of our military heroes overseas can send it to his/her loved one!

I am entering this card in the following challenges:

Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps' Challenge #13: "Make it Colorful"
Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Anything Goes"

2 comments:

  1. What a fun card. Love the cheerful and pretty colors... and the way you did the sponging. Looks awesome. Thank you for playing along with us at Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Rainbow is my favorite kind of card!!! Thank you so much for playing along with us in the Anything Goes Challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!