Monday, May 26, 2014

Happy Birthday Tunnel Card

Recently, I came across an online contest called "The Craftys"--kind of like the Oscars or Emmys for crafters. Even though the entry deadline was right around the corner, I decided to go for it. I figured, with a contest of this caliber, not just any card would do. So I went through my Pinterest board of card ideas & tutorials, and came across this tutorial by Beate Johns for a tunnel card. Ah-ha! So I printed off the instructions and went back to our craft room to get to work.

I started by creating the inside. I scored a piece of patterned paper from my stash as instructed, and die cut an oval from the center with a Spellbinders Classic Ovals die. I cut a slightly smaller oval from teal cardstock, and glued it behind the patterned paper, to create a more defined frame for my greeting. I stamped my greeting in Ranger Archival Jet Black ink, using a stamp from this set by Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps, in the center of the inside of a white A2 size card.

Full shot of inside

Close-up of greeting seen through "tunnel"

I created 4 balloons by tracing over a template I'd made, onto a piece of watercolor paper. I painted them with watered-down Distress inks in Peeled Paint, Mowed Lawn, Broken China, Peacock Feathers, Salty Ocean, Chipped Sapphire, Worn Lipstick, and Barn Door. After they were dry, I cut them out with scissors, and glued them to the side panels on the inside. I tied strings cut from blue bakers twine around the bottoms of the balloons, and glued them to the patterned paper with Ranger Multi Matte Medium. Finally, I covered them with my clear Wink of Stella marker for shimmer, and then Glossy Accents for shine. Then I set the card inside aside for a few hours to let the Glossy Accents dry.

Detail shot of 2 of the balloons

I stamped a cupcake from the same SNSS set, in Ranger Adirondack "Clover" and Stampabilities "Teddy Bear" inks, onto a piece of white cardstock for the focal panel. I rounded the corners with my 1/8" Corner Chomper, and inked the edges with Worn Lipstick. After creating the card front with a striped patterned paper from The Paper Studio and a strip of that same teal cardstock I'd used for the oval frame, I adhered the focal panel with foam tape to give it a bit of dimension. I added dots of Ruby Red Liquid Pearls for "sprinkles" on the frosting, and set the card front aside to dry.

After the Glossy Accents and Liquid Pearls had dried fully, I adhered the card inside to the base with strips of Scor-Tape. While this card is not appropriate for Operation Write Home, because of the glitter in the patterned papers, I will find a use for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!