Friday, September 30, 2022

Poinsettia Pop-Up Card



I created this card for Christmas Card Throwdown's September Technique Challenge: "Pop Up Card." I followed a tutorial on Splitcoaststampers.com for the pop-up mechanism.


I began by creating my card base & flower pot, as per the instructions in the tutorial. I did that first, so I could have a sense of how large each flower could be & how many I would need. I used a plaid patterned paper from the Recollections "Christmas Plaids" 6x6" pad for my base, since it made me think of a holiday tablecloth. I found a dark green cardstock in my scrap stash for the pot itself.

I die cut a total of 8 poinsettias (Poppystamps "Blooming Poinsettia") from Bazzill "Cherry Splash" cardstock, & used Bazzill "Caramel Apple" cardstock for the green background leaves on the poinsettias. I found a super bright yellow-green cardstock in my scraps, that I used for the flower centers. For the filler greenery in my arrangement, I used 3 dies from the "Mini Holiday Greens" set by Tim Holtz for Sizzix. I cut the holly leaves from "Caramel Apple" & the sprigs from a slightly darker green scrap.

I glued the layers of my flowers together, & after the glue set up, added the flower centers. I used glue dots to adhere the flowers themselves to the acetate support pieces I'd added to the pot. For the greenery filler pieces, I just kind of stuck each one into the arrangement & added a bit of glue to each to stick them to the flowers. It was enough glue to hold everything in place, while still keeping the whole arrangement full & "fluffy."

Detail photo of greeting strip

I heat embossed the greeting, from Hero Arts' October 2020 My Monthly Hero Kit stamp set (discontinued), with Ranger Gold Super Fine Detail embossing powder. I used an "Essential Stitched Sentiment Strips" die to cut it out. The die was a bit too long, so I had to do partial die cutting to shorten it. I added that to the card base with foam adhesive squares, leaving a space with no adhesive for the belly band to fit under the right end.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

14 comments:

  1. this is so cool! love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beautiful pop up card and so full of beautiful poinsettias... a favorite flower of mine. Thanks for again sharing with us at Double Trouble. Hope you checked out Thing 1's requirement to earn another chance in our random draw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! You created a masterpiece! Thanks you for sharing with us at Double Trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous - love the bold red flowers. Great pop-up card. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful, this will be such a bright and cheery pop up surprise for someone this Christmas! Thank you for playing along with us at 52CCT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So amazing. Love these flowers and the whole pop up card design. Thanks so much for playing along with the Stay Crafty with A Blog Named Hero Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice card! The flowers are greens look really great!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!