Sunday, September 4, 2022

When It Rains

First view of pop-up


The current Lawn Fawnatics challenge is to "Change the Scene." I admittedly went a bit "dramatic" with my card, with a complete change of scene!

Jennifer McGuire's tutorial on "Pop-Up Panel Cards" inspired my design direction. I began by creating the front (pop-up) panel. I stamped the bear from Lawn Fawn's "Here for You Bear" (gift with purchase from Lawn Fawn) onto a square of Strathmore vellum bristol paper. I masked him, & stamped the puddle & splash from the same set. I masked off the sky area with yellow Frog tape, & ink blended the ground with Pumice Stone Distress ink. I was going for kind of a concrete walk look. I masked off the ground with the same tape, & inked the sky with Stormy Sky Distress ink. With the bear mask still in place, I also stamped raindrops, from "Rain or Shine Before 'n Afters," in the sky, with Stormy Sky Distress Oxide ink. I unmasked the bear, & used my Prismacolor pencils to color him in. I also added a bit of blue pencil to the puddle & splash, so they look like they "reflect" the sky.

I die cut a scrap of vellum bristol with one of Lawn Fawn's "Puffy Cloud Borders" dies, inked it with Stormy Sky + Pumice Stone Distress inks, & adhered it to the top of my panel. I stamped my greeting, from "Here for You Bear," on that. I then matted the panel with a 1/16" blue cardstock mat, just to help it stand out a bit better from the background. Finally, I used a black glaze pen to go over the bear's eyes & nose.

Second view of pop-up


I cut a slightly smaller square of vellum bristol for the back panel. I stamped the rainbow image from "Rain or Shine Before 'n Afters" on that, & colored it with my colored pencils. I masked it off, & ink blended Tumbled Glass Distress ink for the background sky. I stamped one of the smiley faces in the set on the sun, & finished the greeting with another stamp from "Here for You Bear." I finished by matting that with yellow cardstock.

For my card front, I used 2 patterned papers from Lawn Fawn. (They were a gift with a purchase, so I don't know the names of the collections they are from.) I cut them to 4x5-1/4", & then trimmed each piece in 2 at an angle for a bit of dynamism. I adhered them to a scrap of cardstock, just so I could work with them as one panel.

I put together the pop-up mechanism as per Jennifer's instructions. I did have to make one small alteration, because the larger square wasn't too much bigger than the smaller. Rather than scoring at 2" & 2-1/2", I had to have my score lines only 1/4" apart. It worked in the end, though! Of course, I had to put everything together to figure out that was a problem, and then pull it apart to redo it. Thank heavens for double-sided tape & UnDu adhesive remover!

Once I had the mechanism working, I matted my patterned paper panel with a piece of Bazzill Gumball cardstock that I'd adhered to a white A2-size card base. I stamped "pull" using the "Interactive Labels" stamp set from My Favorite Things on the tab, rounded the corners with my scissors, & that finished this card! I will send it to Send a Smile 4 Kids, where it will hopefully bring joy to a hospitalized child's spirit. 😊

I'm also entering this card in The Paper Funday Challenge's "Anything Goes" challenge #44 (not playing the twist). 

6 comments:

  1. Great card and lovely design. Thanks for playing in The Paper Funday Challenge!
    Donna xx
    The Paper Funday Challenge
    The Inspiration Station Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is soooo wonderful and whimsical! I LOVE the rainbow that pops up! i love the wonderful and sweet scene of the bear! love this! so adorable! thank you SO much for playing along with the Lawn Fawnatics Challenge! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!