Sunday, August 20, 2017

Celebrate Your Special Day


Day 3's theme for My Favorite Things' Camp Create is "Background Bonanza." Stephanie Klauck, one of the camp counselors, demonstrated using stencils & ink blending to create backgrounds. I went a slightly different route, using MFT's "Wood Plank" background stamp with ink blending/emboss resist.

I cut a panel of Canson XL Mixed Media paper to 4x5.25". I stamped the "Wood Plank Background" on that with Versamark ink, and heat embossed with Recollections Copper Detail embossing powder. Then I ink blended with Antique Linen, Tea Dye, Brushed Corduroy, & Gathered Twigs Distress inks. When I had the "wood" look I wanted, I buffed off the ink from the embossed lines.

I die cut one of the "Flutter of Butterflies - Solid" from another scrap of mixed media paper, & the coordinating "Flutter of Butterflies - Lace" from vellum. I also die cut a body from navy cardstock. I used 3 colors of Tombow markers to scribble areas on the solid butterfly, and then spritzed it generously with my homemade Perfect Pearls mist. I dried it with my heat tool, and repeated with the markers & mist to get a deeper color. I dried it again with my heat tool, then applied a bit of liquid glue to the center of that piece, and glued the vellum butterfly to that. Finally, I glued on the body, and set that aside to dry.

After die cutting one of the "Mini Delicate Doilies" from white cardstock, I marked the vertical center of my woodgrain panel. I lined up the doily, centered on that mark, as well as the butterfly. I heat embossed a greeting from MFT's "Birthday Greetings" stamp set with Recollections Snow embossing powder onto a strip of light teal cardstock, and adhered that over the doily.

For the mat, I cut a piece of navy pearlized cardstock from The Paper Studio. I inked around the edges with my Versamark pad, and then sprinkled on more copper embossing powder. I heat set that, and adhered my main panel to that. Finally, I mounted my card front to a white A2 card base.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Dies R Us Challenge #79: "Anything Goes Using Dies"
Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge: "Add a Sentiment"

6 comments:

  1. I love wood backgrounds, and your butterfly is such pretty colors, Andrea! Thank you for sharing your work with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a beautiful creation! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘Anything using Dies’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning! LOVE your beautiful background! It really makes the butterfly & sentiment pop!Thanks for entering our "Anything Goes With Dies" challenge at Dies R Us!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!