Saturday, October 1, 2016

Sending You Prayers


Our Daily Bread Designs' current challenge theme is "Dots or Dashes." A woman I know has a sister who is under hospice care. So I decided to go ahead and create a sympathy card to send to her whenever her sister finally passes.

I cut a tag from 140 lb. watercolor paper, and rounded the upper 2 corners with my 1/2" Corner Chomper. I also created a hole reinforcer from the same paper with 1/4" & 1/2" punches. I backed the tag with Scor-Tape adhesive sheet, and ran it through my die cutting machine with the inside die from ODBD's "Fancy Fritillary." Because the paper & Scor-Tape were so thick, the die did not cut completely through, which was exactly what I wanted. I stamped my greeting, from Hero Arts' "Prayers" stamp set, in Versafine Onyx Black ink, and heat embossed it with Recollections Clear Detail embossing powder. Finally, I added some fibers from my stash through the hole.

To color my tag, I used Fossilized Amber, Crushed Olive, & Broken China Distress inks. I applied areas of each color with a fingertip sponge dauber, and then spritzed the panel generously with water. I dried that with my heat tool, being careful not to "overcook" it, and applied another layer of the same colors. I spritzed the tag again to get some slight "texture," and dried it.

For my background, I cut another piece of watercolor paper to 4.25x5.5", and inked it thoroughly with Black Soot Distress ink. After I had covered the panel, I spritzed it lightly with my Distress Sprayer bottle, so I would get large water drops. I let that set for several seconds, then blotted it with a paper towel, to lift some of the ink. I just felt, since quite a bit of the background shows, this would give it a bit more interest, while still not detracting from the tag.

I removed the release paper from the Scor-Tape pieces I'd put on the back of my tag. I adhered it to the background at a slight angle, and used a black pen to add some faux stitching lines around the tag. After mounting my card front to a white A2 card base, I used some Ranger Multi Medium Matte to glue down some black Doodlebug Designs sequins.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge: "Anything Goes"
Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge: "Powder Power"
Incy Wincy Designs: "Things That Fly"

7 comments:

  1. Wow what wonderful colors in that tag! Nice design too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really pretty card and I love how the colours pop against the dark background, they look fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful card.
    Thanks for joining us at Incy Wincy challenges.
    Happy crafting!
    Catherine x DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!