Sunday, October 30, 2016

Peace Cardinal

The past couple of weeks, I've been participating in's Falliday Fest. It's a series of 30 card challenges & 10 tutorials, and has been a lot of fun. This is one of the cards I created for that.

I recently got Hero Arts' "Color Layering Cardinal" stamp set & dies. We had a friend some years ago who loved cardinals, and I guess she passed that love on to me. So when I saw this stamp set, I knew I had to have it!

For this card, I stamped the cardinal on white cardstock, using Hero Arts Fresh Peach ink for the base layer, and Memento Lady Bug & Rhubarb Stalk for the second and third layers, respectively. I stamped the face & eye in Versafine Onyx Black, and the feet in Rhubarb Stalk. I must say, not having much experience with color layering stamps, this one is not too hard to work with. The only part I messed up was the black, and mostly because I wasn't sure what to line it up with. Thankfully, I had stamped 3 birds, so I just "ignored" the one I messed up! :) After I'd finished stamping, I die cut the body & legs with the coordinating dies, and added a bit of white gel pen to emphasize the highlight in the eye.

To create the sky area, I blended Distress inks in Stormy Sky, Faded Jeans, & Chipped Sapphire onto a panel of Strathmore Smooth Bristol paper. I spritzed the panel with water from my Distress Sprayer, let it sit for several seconds, and blotted up the water. I dried that, inked over it again, & repeated the water "bleaching" process. I really like the effect doing this twice gave. I think it really adds more depth than just inking and bleaching once.

I cut a piece of white cardstock to A2 size, and die cut an oval from the center with the smallest of Spellbinders' "Grand Ovals Nestabilities" (no longer available) Then I ran it through my die cutting machine again, with the "Snowflakes" embossing folder from Darice.

For the greeting, I stamped the "peace" from the same stamp set in Rhubarb Stalk, and die cut it with one of the "Labels" dies from Sizzix/Tim Holtz. I inked the edges with Stormy Sky. I stamped & die cut the berry & small pine needle images with Memento Lady Bug & Cottage Ivy inks, and die cut them as well. I layered those behind the greeting, and added foam tape to the back.

I marked the position of the oval on my inked background, and used that as a guide to stamp the branch in Hero Arts Cup o' Joe ink. I adhered my frame to the background, and glued the cardinal on top, "sitting" on the branch. Finally, I added my greeting, and mounted the card front to a white A2 card base.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

a2z Scrapbooking's October Challenge: "Layer It"
Die Cut Divas "October is the Time to Emboss"


  1. So beautifully done!! Happy to see your creation in our challenge gallery at a2z.

  2. Nice one! Your cardinal looks great over that background & cutout.

  3. Cardinals are my fave bird - I call them my bird of hope. Love this, the background really allows the cardinal to pop off the card. Well done!
    Thanks for joining us at a2z Scrapbooking! ~Michele, DT

  4. Love, love, love! The cardinal turned out spectacular, as did your background! Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Diva's!

  5. Beautiful job; I love the background - great job with the distress inks and water drops; the card is stunning! Thanks for joining us at a2z.

    sue n.

  6. Thanks for joining both Die Cut Divas and A2Z Scrapbooking. I have to say, I love the background (thanks for the tips) and I can understand why you wanted this cardinal. I had to get it too.

  7. beautiful. Thanks for joining us at a2z this month

  8. What a beautiful cardinal, Andrea. Love the window you created for it. Thank You for playing along with a2z Challenge!


I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!