Friday, November 13, 2015

Merry & Bright


Catch the Bug Challenge Blog is having their "Stella Says Sketch" Challenge #317. The challenge, obviously, is to use their sketch for your card design:


I began by creating my background panels. I was inspired by a lesson Debby Hughes did on Day 1 of Online Card Classes' "Holiday Style" class, going on now. She used the emboss resist technique with watercoloring on one of her cards.

I stamped my snowflakes (stamp set source unknown) on a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper that I'd cut to just under 3.25x4.5". I then heat embossed them with Ranger Super Fine Detail White embossing powder. When that had cooled, I sprayed the panel with water, and used Distress inks in Evergreen Bough & Picked Raspberry to color the background in a watercolor style. While the inks were still wet, I sprayed the panel again with my homemade Perfect Pearls mist, to give it an all-over shimmer. Then I set that aside to air dry.

For my focal panel, I die cut a piece of Strathmore smooth bristol paper with one of the "Classic Ovals LG" dies by Spellbinders. I printed the "Snow Friends" image from Bugaboo Stamps on that, and colored it in with my Zig Clean Color pens. Finally, I inked around the perimeter with Evergreen Bough.

By now my background panel was dry. I cut it into thirds, and adhered the pieces to a white A2-size card base, with a little gap between the panels. I stamped my greeting, from Simon Says Stamp's "Christmas" set, below the right panel, and heat embossed it with Ranger Liquid Platinum embossing powder. To pop up my focal panel, I die cut a piece of craft foam with another Spellbinders oval die, and adhered it to the back of the panel with double-sided tape. I adhered the panel to my card with more double-sided tape. Finally, I used Ranger Multi Medium Matte to glue 3 gems to the right side of the card.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Merry Monday Challenge #179: "Pink, Green, & White"
Catch the Bug Challenge Blog: "Anything Goes"
Live Love Cards November Challenge: "Snow/Snowflakes"

22 comments:

  1. This is totally adorable, I love your design and color choices!
    Thanks for sharing your card with us over at Catch the Bug and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning card...I LOVE your background!! those two colors are so very pretty and wintery together!! And that little snowman all colored up in the same colors is just too cute! Thank you for joining us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just FABULOUS!! Love the background paired with this cute snowman! Super cute! Thanks so much for playing along with our Bugaboo Stamps/Catch The Bug Blog Anything Goes Challenge AND the Stella Says Sketch Challenge. We hope you'll join us again for our GIVE THANKS challenge that begins today and a new Stella Says Sketch challenge that begins tomorrow!
    Hugs & Happy Days!
    Min - Catch The Bug - Asst. DT Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww...your little snowman is just so cute and I absolutely LOVE your background! Great card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your win at Bugaboo Stamps! Awesome technique and your card is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! Such an adorable card! I love your watercolouring too!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Merry Monday.

    Deanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Andrea: Your card is over the top sweet, Oh my gosh!! this little snowman is adorable!!! The snowflakes look stunningly beautiful, I love that embossing powder, it always gives amazing results.
    Thank you so much for sharing at Merry Monday "Pink and Green" challenge and at LiveLoveCards "Snowflake" November challenge.
    Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous background and your cheeky snowman looks so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colors especially the pink my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute snowman and I love your distress ink color choices. I haven't made a tri panel card yet... I need to give that a try. Nice card, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!