Saturday, August 2, 2014

A BIG Truck for the Best Kid Ever


Our Daily Bread Design's current challenge at their blog is "Sponging or Stencils." I decided to make a really masculine kid's card for Operation Write Home. I see this particular card being perfect for a teen boy, but I suppose it could be used for a hard-core tomboy girl, too!

I used the following OWH sketch:


I did make the lower panel slightly taller, mostly to accommodate the larger tag I needed for the greeting I chose from this Hero Arts stamp set.

For the focal image, I used ODBD's "Truck" single stamp. I stamped it in Versafine Onyx Black ink onto white cardstock, then, after that dried, I sponged Frayed Burlap Distress ink over it, to give it a rough-&-ready look. To create the frame panel, I started with a piece of light tan cardstock. I traced around the outside of a Spellbinders Classic Ovals LG die, then went around that line with a Q-tip dipped in water to soften the fibers. I ended up by tearing where I'd wet the cardstock. Again, I was going for a rough look. I ran that panel through my Grand Calibur machine, using the "Diamond Plate" Tim Holtz Alterations embossing folder from this set. Finally, I sponged Vintage Photo Distress ink over the whole panel, and went around the edges of the panel and the oval frame with Walnut Stain Distress ink. I glued that onto the cardstock piece I'd stamped the truck onto.

I cut the lower panel from a piece of "Texture Camo" paper by The Paper Studio, and glued that below the embossed panel. I stamped the greeting with Versafine on a piece of white cardstock, and heat embossed it with American Crafts Zing! Black embossing powder.

Oddly, the embossing powder didn't stick to the ink very well, so I tried going over the letters with a Versamarker, and sprinkled more embossing powder on that. Interestingly, the powder not only stuck to the letters, but stuck around the edges of each letter in a little more "scattered" way. I liked that effect, since it contributed to the rough look of the card, so I left it like that.

After cutting the greeting into a tag shape, I punched a piece of light tan cardstock with a 1/4" hole punch, and glued it to the top of the tag. Then I punched a hole through that with an 1/8" punch, to create the look of a hole re-inforcer. I further distressed the tag like I did the frame panel, by sponging on Vintage Photo and Walnut stain inks.

To finish the card front, I wrapped jute twine from The Paper Studio around the seam between the 2 panels. I threaded more twine through the hole in the tag, and tied it to what I'd wrapped around the card. Then I glued the tag down to hold it in place. Finally, I adhered the card front to an A2 base with foam adhesive.

I'm also entering this card in the following challlenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Anything Goes"
a2z Scrapbooking Blog's "Encouragement"

10 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea -- Thanks so much for creating a card to enter into our brand new "Encouragement" Challenge at a2z Scrapbooking Blog. I love that you used one of the Operation Write Home Sketch's as the design for your card. I also think you chose the perfect sentiment to not only go with your card, but one that is also perfect for our Challenge Theme!! Great job on the distressing too --- you nailed the look for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great take on the sketch! I love the sentiment you chose! Great card. Thanks for entering the a2z Scrapbooking blog challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, love the distressing! Very well done!
    Thanks for playing along with a2zscrabookingblog.com challange!

    xoxo Zoey

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a perfect card for any guy in our life! love it! Thank you for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful masculine/boy card! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome and totally too cool! It's the perfect boy card with the sponging and textured embossing folder! Beautifully done Andrea! Thanks for joining. Us at ODBD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome masculine boy card!! I love all the sponging and the distressed look you added with the truck. The embossing folder is perfect!! Thanks so much for joining us for the Shining the Light challenge this week, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a striking card, Andrea! I love all the techniques you used to create this card, and how perfect it is for a boy...WOW!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at the a2z Scrapbooking Challenge! I hope you'll be back again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome!
    So happy you joined us at A2Z Scrapbooking, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Andrea! I totally love the colors on your card. Such a boy's card!! You did an amazing job with this card. Thank you so much for playing along with us at the a2z Scrapbooking Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!