Saturday, June 21, 2014

Thanks


The last time I went through my collection of cards I'm going to send to Operation Write Home, I noticed a lack of "thank you" cards. So I decided to redouble my efforts, and make more thank you cards to send with my next shipment to them.

I used Sketch #198 from OWH, and rotated it 90 degrees:


For the focal point, I used the "Violet" stamp from Our Daily Bread Designs. I stamped it on watercolor paper using Ranger's Archival Jet Black ink, and colored it with Inktense pencils and water. I matted the panel onto a piece of white cardstock that I had blended Dusty Concord Distress ink over.

I actually made the background "patterned" paper by blending Shabby Shutters Distress ink onto white cardstock, using the "Mini Garden Gate" stencil by The Crafter's Workshop. I matted that on a piece of dark green cardstock. The strip of patterned paper layered over the background is from 7Gypsie's "Conservatory" 6x6" paper pad. I matted that piece as well, just to give it a little more definition against the stenciled cardstock.

I created another layer to go behind the matted background panel, using more of the Dusty Concord-colored cardstock. I adhered that to the same dark green cardstock as the background panel, and glued that to the card base.

For the greeting, I stamped one of the "thanks" from this stamp set by Simon Says Stamp onto white cardstock, and heat embossed it with Ranger Super Fine White Embossing Powder. I inked over it with Dusty Concord, and die cut it with a Spellbinders banner die. I poked a hole in the upper right corner of the banner, and threaded a length of dark green embroidery floss through it. I wrapped more of the same floss around the background panel multiple times. Then I tied the banner piece on to the wrapped floss, and also glued it to the background to keep it in place.

To finish assembling the card, I adhered the focal panel to the card front. I had to glue a double-thickness of strips of the green cardstock to each side on the back, to even it out with the matted paper strip behind it. Finally, I glued the completed card panel to the double layers on the card base.

I'm entering this card in Simon Says Stamp's Monday "Anything Goes" challenge.

2 comments:

  1. This thank you card is exquisite! I about died when I read that you'd created that gorgeous green and white patterned background! It looks so pro that I thought you'd purchased patterned paper like that! Nicely done! I also always admire your coloring skills. That violet comes to life so beautifully because of your expert coloring job. I liked how you flipped the sketch 90 degrees, too, and think it's great that you always make a project your own through the little tweaks that you do. Another lovely creation and I'm so glad you shared it with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What stunning work!!! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!