Friday, June 27, 2014

Can't Wait to Hug You


Since A Blog Named Hero issued their Challenge #46, "Bokeh," I've become interested in recreating a light effect using basically just color media and paper/cardstock. (I've done a couple of cards for this challenge already, which you can see here and here.) I got the complete set of Faber-Castell gelatos a couple of months ago, and had not used them much. I read this blog post this morning, in which she used gelatos to stamp with, and it gave me the kick in the pants I needed to break mine out. Since I had some free time this afternoon, I decided to give bokeh another go, this time with Distress ink & my gelatos.

Since I am going to send this card to Operation Write Home, I started by cutting a piece of white cardstock to 4.25x5.5", the size of a standard A2 card. I taped Simon Says Stamp's "Falling Stars" stencil over it, and smooshed Versamark ink though the stencil. Once I had gotten enough ink on the cardstock, I removed the stencil, sprinkled American Crafts Zing! clear embossing powder over the cardstock, and heat embossed the stars.

To create the bokeh effect, I first blended Tumbled Glass Distress ink over the whole panel to set a light blue base color. Then I took two colors of gelatos and made random dots on the cardstock. I used my water brush to spread and blend the gelato colors, so they have a soft appearance. In hindsight, I wished I had used watercolor paper instead of cardstock, since I ended up using quite a bit of water. But I was very careful, and didn't have too much pilling of the cardstock, so it worked out OK.

To create the moon, I die cut a circle from white cardstock using one of the dies from the Spellbinders Standard Circles SM set. I scribbled yellow gelato onto it, and blended the color with my finger. That gave it a subtle, mottled look, which I must admit was a pleasant surprise, since I'd expected a more solid color.

I stamped the owls from Hero Arts "Li'l Hoot" set onto watercolor paper with Ranger Archival Jet Black ink, and, after giving the ink a few minutes to dry thoroughly, colored them with Inktense pencils. I fussy cut the image, and went around the white edges with a black brush tip marker, to blend them in with the black stamping. I determined where I wanted my moon on the card front, and glued it down, going off the edge slightly. I glued the owls on top of the moon, and trimmed off the overhanging portion.

I decided I wanted to use 2 of the greeting stamps from the same Hero Arts set. I stamped each onto white cardstock with Versamark, and heat embossed them with Recollections "Snow" embossing powder. After cutting out the banner shapes, I blended Chipped Sapphire ink over them, and glued them to the card front. Finally, I adhered the whole front panel to a top-folding A2 card base.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Anything Goes"
Simon Says Stamp's Monday "I Ought to Use This More" (gelatos)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, Andrea! I love how you used the gelatos for the background. Looks great! Thank you for sharing your card with us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very pretty! I really love your background! That turned out awesome! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog for the Anything Goes Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!