Sunday, March 16, 2014

To the Best Kid Ever

I bought 2 sheets of this patterned paper, "Blast Off" by BoBunny, at my local scrapbooking store, The Crop Spot, a few months ago. Since I don't have any kids in my life, I intended to use it for making kid-friendly cards for Operation Write Home. This is my first card using that paper.

I used this sketch by OWH as the basis for my design:

Since the pattern on the paper was so large, I decided to let it extend below the middle strip, rather than add another paper to the bottom inch of the card, as in the sketch. The greeting is from the "Li'l Hoot" set by Hero Arts. I stamped it in Jet Black Archival ink on white cardstock, and die cut it with a Spellbinders Classic Circle die. Then I applied Crushed Olive Distress Ink to it, which was an almost exact match to the green in the BoBunny paper. I die cut another, slightly larger circle from a scrap of navy blue cardstock to mat the greeting. I used a strip of this same cardstock to mat the middle strip.

For the red star strip, I cut a strip from a scrap of Core'dinations cardstock and dry-embossed the stars with a folder by The Paper Studio. To get the whole strip to emboss, I actually had to cut it in two, and place the sections in the folder. I knew the greeting circle would cover the seam, so I didn't have any qualms about doing this. After I embossed the stars, I took a sanding block and lightly sanded the cardstock on the raised portions, to give it a 2-tone, distressed look. I also roughed up the edges of this strip. I figure this will likely go to a boy, so I wanted kind of a rough-and-tumble look. I adhered the red strip to the blue, and then glued that to the patterned paper, which I had cut to a standard A2 card size.

I decided at that point I hadn't distressed this card enough, and so pulled out my Frayed Burlap Distress Ink pad. I sponged the ink around the edges of the patterned paper, and then went over the rest of the paper as well. That was the undoing of this card. I just went too far with the Distress Ink by applying it over the whole paper piece. But I wasn't about to throw the whole thing into the recycling bin and waste all that time, effort, and paper. So I cut the background paper away along the edges of the strip. One good thing about getting two 12x12" sheets of paper: you have plenty more if you mess up! So I cut another 4.25x5.5" piece, and adhered the smaller strip to the front of that. This time, I went only around the edges with the Frayed Burlap ink, which I think gives it just the right touch. Finally, I adhered the greeting with foam tape, and glued the whole thing to the card base.

I am entering this in the Simon Says Stamp Monday "D is for Distress" challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!