Operation Write Home posted a notice recently that they ran out of Mother's Day cards last year, and asked cardmakers to send in several this year. So I have been on a Mother's Day card kick lately. I had found this sketch on Pinterest some months ago, and had pinned it to my "card sketches" board there.
The other day, I was scrolling through that board, looking for inspiration, and came across this image. I thought hexagons would make a nice substitution for the diamonds in the sketch. I also wanted to try a variation on a technique Gina K. demonstrated in a video on YouTube, about using embossing folders to emboss only part of a card front. She had used two different folders, one each on the top and bottom, with the image in the middle. I decided that I only wanted to have embossing only above the hexagons, since my greeting would be on the lower part of the front. So I chose a folder with a somewhat "dense" floral pattern, and embossed the top of the purple panel.
I also die cut 16 hexagons, using this die set from Lifestyle Crafts. I arranged them in a "beehive"-style pattern, trying for a somewhat random look with the colors (not as easy as you might think!). I popped up 4 of them on foam tape for added interest, and glued the rest directly to the card front panel.
I tried to think of something different to do for a tag, instead of just cutting a tag shape and slapping it on the card. I still have several tag frames that I got when I got my Making Memories Tag Maker tool several years ago. So I dug through that collection until I found one that would work. I cut the tag from yellow cardstock, and printed a greeting from this digital stamp set from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps on it. Then I popped it in the tag frame and crimped the metal with the Tag Maker tool. For the hole reinforcer, I punched a hole in blue cardstock with an 1/8" hole punch, then punched around that with a 1/4" punch. I honestly had more trouble gluing it to the tag than I did punching it out! I threaded baker's twine through the hole, and adhered the tag to the card front. I matted the purple panel on black, then matted that on teal cardstock, and mounted the whole front to the card base.
I am entering this in Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Tag It" challenge.