Wednesday, June 11, 2014

You're a Winner


The current challenge at Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday blog is to create a Father's Day or masculine project. My father passed away several years ago, so I don't really have need of a Father's Day card. But I decided to make a masculine-themed card for Operation Write Home.

I based my card design on the following OWH sketch:


There are no measurements on the sketch, so my interpretation was kind of loose.

I used The Crafter's Workshop "Mini Tri Mosaic" stencil as a mask on white cardstock to smear Liquitex Gloss Super Heavy Gel Medium over. After applying a somewhat textured coat of the medium, I removed the stencil and set the panel aside to dry.

I stamped the greeting from this Simon Says Stamp set on kraft cardstock, using Versamark ink. I then heat embossed it with Zing! Metallic Blue embossing powder. I cut the end in a banner shape.

When the main panel had dried, I blended Distress inks in Stormy Sky, Frayed Burlap, and Brushed Corduroy over it. The gel medium I'd applied resisted the ink, leaving those areas white. I cut the panel apart at an angle, and determined where I would place the 2 sections on the card front. I stamped the dot border from the same stamp set onto a white card base, and then heat embossed the dots with Zing! Clear powder. I blended Faded Jeans Distress ink over the front of the card base.

I "dyed" white cardstock by rubbing a Chipped Sapphire Distress ink pad over it, then cut 1/8" wide strips from that, to use as the border strips along the panels. After gluing those in place, I adhered the panels to the card base with foam tape. I adhered the greeting banner, also with foam tape, and trimmed off any overhanging edges. And that finished my card.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Work It Wednesday
Lawnscaping Challenge #83: Embossing

Lawnscaping Challenge #83: Embossing

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!