Saturday, October 14, 2023

Merry Christmas Wreath


I am so happy & excited to be the guest designer for Christmas Card Throwdown! The challenge this week is to use red & brown on your card. So get out those inks, stamps, dies, & papers and get making!



This color scheme made me think of a rustic look. Which led me to kraft cardstock. I wanted to try stamping a wreath with Distress Oxide inks, using Gina K Designs "Holiday Wreath Builder" set & her Wreath Builder template. I die cut a 4" square of kraft, & stamped the flowers, berries, & berry branches with different red inks. I also brought in Vintage Photo ink for the pinecones. I had to stamp the red elements 2-3 times each, but I was just glad that it worked out. Then I had to decide what to do with my panel!

I didn't want just to slap the square on a card, add a greeting, & call it done. So I die cut the wreath out with circle dies. I didn't like the doughnut look of it, so I figured I'd try fussy cutting. I took a cue from Kristina Werner, & penciled an cutting line around the inside & outside of my wreath first. If you make an errant pencil line, it's easy to erase. An errant cut with scissors is impossible to fix. I fussy cut the inside first, which wasn't easy! But I took my time, & it worked. The outside perimeter was much easier. After I finished cutting, I erased any pencil lines that still showed.

I stamped my background panel with Altenew's "Wood Pallet Background" (discontinued) & Gina K Charcoal Brown ink. Then I blended over that with Walnut Stain Distress ink. I wanted a bit more shading around the edges, so I brought in a bit of Black Soot Distress ink.

For the greeting, I stamped the Merry Christmas from Hero Arts' "Color Layering Gingerbread House" set (discontinued) onto a scrap of kraft cardstock with Lumberjack Plaid Distress Oxide ink. I added clear embossing powder over that, & melted it with my heat tool so I could do a bit of emboss resist. I cut the greeting out with a Spellbinders "Grommet Tags" die (discontinued). I put the die cut back in the die, & inked through the opening with Brushed Corduroy Distress ink, just to provide a bit of contrast.

I adhered my wreath to my background with foam tape, & glued the greeting label down flat. After I matted my panel with red cardstock that I'd adhered to a white A2-size card base, I added Bright Gold Nuvo Crystal drops to the label to look like decorative nail heads. I went over the berries on the wreath with Rhubarb Crumble Nuvo Crystal drops for a bit of added shine & interest. And that finished off this card! I am happy with how the card came out in the end. Now it's your turn to make a red & brown Christmas card (or more than 1!) and enter it in this week's challenge. Have fun!

6 comments:

  1. quelle jolie création Andreja, pleine d'élégance, merci d'être notre guest designer cette semaine, biz

    ReplyDelete
  2. très élégante création Andrea, merci d'être notre guest designer cette semaine, biz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful festive card! I like how you use our colours!
    Thank you so much for playing along with 52CCT as GDT❤️

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!