Saturday, September 16, 2023

I Be-leaf in You


Lawn Fawnatics is having a color challenge at their blog. I don't have most of the ink colors they suggested as matches, but chose some Distress inks that looked pretty close. I got the inspiration for my design from this card I found on the Lawn Fawn website. I created this card to send to Send a Smile 4 Kids, hopefully to cheer up a hospitalized child.

For the background, I cut a panel of 140 lb. watercolor paper. I used Picked Raspberry, Seedless Preserves, & Evergreen Bough Distress inks to ink smoosh on my panel. Once I had covered the background with color, I felt it was a little too bold for what I wanted. So I squeezed a little white acrylic craft paint on my non-stick mat, thinned it with a bit of water, & smeared it onto my paper with my finger. I wanted just a little more color, though, so when the paint layer dried, I ink smooshed a bit more Evergreen Bough onto the panel. I dried it with my heat tool, then set it aside while I worked on the other elements for my card.

I die cut several leaves from watercolor paper, using the "Stitched Leaves" & "Small Stitched Leaves" sets from Lawn Fawn. I ink smooshed them with the same colors as the background, adding in Fossilized Amber & Shabby Shutters Distress inks. The Shabby Shutters came out a bit too pale, so I smooshed those a second time with Mowed Lawn ink. I did 2-3 colors on each leaf, just for interest.

I stamped my images, from Lawn Fawn's "You Autumn Know" stamp set, onto Strathmore Vellum Bristol paper. I used my Prismacolor pencils to color them, then die cut them with the coordinating dies. I also cut a few more plain die cuts for each image, then stacked them behind my images. This gives them some dimension so they stand out a bit from the background.

I glued my leaves around my background, as in the inspiration card, & cut off the bits that overhung the edges. For the frame, I used the largest of Lawn Fawn's "Large Stitched Rectangle" & "Small Stitched Rectangle" die sets. I nested the smaller inside the larger, and ran them through my die cutting machine with white cardstock. I added a few cardstock strips behind the sides of my frame to beef it up a bit, then adhered it to my card. I glued my images in place, overlapping the frame slightly. I stamped the greetings onto white cardstock. I don't have any banner dies to cut on that particular curve, so I penciled an outline around each & cut them out with scissors. I went over the eyes of the mouse on the leaf with a black glaze pen to help them pop, glued my banners in place, & that finished this card.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

The Paper Funday Challenges #57: "Anything Goes" (not playing the optional twist)

14 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful card!!! I love your design and your creativity and wonderful soft colors ! Great take on our color board!!! Wishing You a beautiful fall! Thank you so much for sharing your talent and for playing along with us at the Lawn Fawnatics Challenge! /Lots of Love, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet card design, colors and of course those little mice! Thanks for sharing your sweet card with us at The Paper Funday Challenge and we hope you'll share again soon.
    Donna xx
    Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
    Paper Funday Challenge
    Inspiration Station Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just a wonderful fall card, the colors are so unique! Thanks for sharing with us at the Paper Funday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so pretty! i love the colors and the beautiful leaves around the edge!! thank you so much for playing along with the Lawn Fawnatics challenge! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very cute! So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas for our "Anything Goes" challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrea! You have created such a fun kiddie card... and I love a background created with Distress Inks AND smooshed acrylic paint. Great job! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Send a Smile 4 Kids.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!