Saturday, September 2, 2023

Peaceful Lighthouse


This card took quite a bit of pre-planning & also focus while I was making it. Thankfully, I was able to use the masks from the Waffle Flower "Lighthouse Stencil-n-Stamp" set I used for the bulk of my design to help me determine where to position everything before I started stenciling & stamping.

Once I had my design worked out, I began by ink blending the sand area with Distress inks. I used Antique Linen first, and then darkened/warmed it with Tea Dye. I added Chipped Sapphire over the area to the far left, just to differentiate that spot & make it look "rocky."

I positioned the sand & lighthouse masks to protect those areas, & then ink blended the sky with Mustard Seed, Wild Honey, Worn Lipstick, & Chipped Sapphire Distress inks. That was probably the easiest part of the whole card! After I had all the colors down, I added the light beam with that stencil & Lawn Fawn's Yeti white pigment ink.

For the water area, I taped the Hero Arts "Waves" stencil (discontinued) in place, & masked above it with yellow Frog tape. I ink blended with the same colors as the sky, minus the Chipped Sapphire. Then I removed the stencil. The white areas that the stencil had covered seemed a bit too stark, so I blended over them with the same colors as before to try & get a tone-on-tone effect. That didn't give enough contrast, though, and the colors actually looked kind of "mushy." So I positioned the "Waves" stencil back where I had had it, & inked over it with Chipped Sapphire, making sure to go dark enough that it covered the underlying colors, rather than just blending with them. It's a rather stylized look, but I think it came out OK.

I removed just the lighthouse mask, & stamped the lighthouse with Versafine Onyx Black ink. I stamped it about 3 times, just to get a good solid coverage. The area right above the sand mask didn't really stamp due to the thickness of the mask under the bottom of the stamp. Fortunately I was able to use a black marker to fill in the missing part. I also stamped the birds in black. I used the stencil to add the light in the windows. I blended yellow & pink ink to the top part where you can see through the glass to the sky behind. To add a little something extra in the corners, I pierced holes & made French knots with a pale rose embroidery floss. Finally, I matted the panel with blue cardstock & adhered it to a white A2-size card base. I decided a greeting on the front would detract from the scene, so I'll just write a personal message inside.

I'm entering this in the following challenges:

10 comments:

  1. Your stenciling turned out great, your planning (and a little revision!) really created a beautiful water front scene! Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Thanks for playing along in the Stay Crafty Challenge with A Blog Named Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous - love the scene you created! Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The planning out of your card layout for your blending was so smart and certainly paid off... gorgeous blending and the stamping embellishment for the sea, lighthouse and birds are perfect and love the distinction of the glow of the lighthouse in your blending. Thank you for sharing with us your luscious lighthouse scene at Double Trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful! Your stenciling and blending is terrific. Thanks for sharing at Double Trouble - Crazy Cousin Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!