Friday, October 28, 2022

Joy to the World

The current challenge at Christmas Card Throwdown is a Tic-Tac-Toe Stash challenge. I chose the diagonal line with the Nativity, Patterned paper, & Embossing (heat embossing, in my case) squares.



I had an alcohol ink background that I'd done for a different card, that had not turned out at all as I'd intended. It's been sitting on my desk for a few weeks now, and I finally decided to use it for this card. The blue alcohol inks had gotten rather dark in places, & I was concerned my image wouldn't show up well. So I spritzed the panel with isopropyl alcohol & daubed it with a paper towel to remove some of the ink. To my delight, it worked really well! I then heat embossed one of the images from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps' "O Holy Night" stamp set with Wow Perissa embossing powder. I had to be very careful with the heat embossing, since my background is Yupo paper, which is rather sensitive to heat. Thankfully, I was able to melt the embossing powder without warping the paper too much. After the embossing had cooled, I die cut it with a circle die. I cut another circle from white cardstock, & adhered my Yupo circle to that, just to provide more stability & flatten it.

I used the "Big Rays" stencil from A Colorful Life Designs to stencil my background. I inked with Fossilized Amber Distress ink onto a light yellow cardstock. When I removed the stencil, I felt the contrast between the inked & uninked areas was a bit too stark, though. So I blended over the whole panel with just the ink that was left on my blending foam. That knocked the contrast back by darkening between the rays slightly. Then I die cut the panel with the stitched rectangle from Mama Elephant's "Femme Frames" set (discontinued).

After I glued my focal circle in place, I stamped my greeting (from the same set) in Lawn Fawn's Blue Jay ink. I cut a panel of patterned paper from Graphic45's "Christmas Carol" 6x6" pad with the largest of the "Large Stitched Rectangle" dies from Lawn Fawn. I used that to mat my main panel, & then adhered it to a white card base.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! You used the technique very nicely! Thanks for playing at 52 CCT challange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, such a beautiful holiday card! The alcohol background image works perfectly for your design!! Thank you so much for sharing your card and talents with us at Double Trouble !!! -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not used the Yupa but know that you have to be very careful with it... so super job and love the background you created, perfect. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful Nativity scene! Thanks for playing at 52 CCT challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a bright and beautiful card, Andrea! I love using Yupo but it can be tricky. Thank you for playing along at Double Trouble #123.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!