Sunday, August 22, 2021

Kitty Thanks


Recently, one of our cats, Barney, passed away after a long battle with renal failure. I wanted to create a thank you card to send to the doctor & staff at the vet's office where he was treated. I came across the "Cat with Butterfly" stamp from Rubber Cottage (discontinued) in my stash, which I have had for some years now. Since butterflies symbolize (among other things in different cultures) hope & bravery, I just thought this image was perfect. I paired it with one of the "Many Thanks" dies from My Favorite Things (discontinued). For the design, I adapted an old Operation Write Home sketch.

Because the cat on the stamp is a tabby, & Barney was a grey & white cat, I couldn't see stamping the image in a dark ink. So I pulled out my Fade-Out no-line coloring ink by Ink on 3. The stamp was a wood-mount red rubber stamp, which I had converted to cling mount, so you can't see through it. I didn't trust that I could use my MISTI & position the stamp correctly on the panel, so I used my Stamp-a-Ma-Jig instead. Usually with Fade-Out ink, I like to double-stamp the image to be able to see the lines better. But, due to the size of this stamp, I wasn't confident that I could re-stamp the image, even holding the Stamp-a-Ma-Jig handle in place when I lifted my block. Thankfully, I got a good enough impression on the first try!

Using my Prismacolor pencils, I colored the butterfly yellow (because, why not?), and colored the kitty to look like Barney. The white parts of his body were the most difficult, since I needed to add shading so they stood out against the background, but still make them look white. So I colored those parts just barely with a very light cool grey pencil. There is grass in the stamp, but I added more with a couple of green pencils, just to fill it out. I toyed with the idea of coloring the sky area, but thought it wouldn't look good in the end, so I just left it alone.

Since Barney has gone on to the Rainbow Bridge, where all pets go to await their (human) parents when they die, I decided to make the greeting in rainbow colors. I adhered strips of colored cardstocks to a scrap piece of white cardstock, then cut it with the thanks die. I glued that to a light grey panel, to echo the grey colors in the kitty. I added a black strip to separate the greeting & image panels, & used a teal blue cardstock to mat the panels.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, you have made a wonderful thank you card and I love how you have used the rainbow colours for your sentiment.
    Thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments Challenge Blog
    Best Wishes Lisa xx
    craftycard-designs.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet card, I love your cat. Great thanks for joining us at Incy Wincy Designs Challenges.
    Wish you good luck and hope to see you soon.
    Hugs
    Danka
    Twórcze pasje Danki {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice thank you! Sorry about your cat!
    Thanks for playing along with us at 613 Avenue Create1
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty!
    Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create!
    Vivi

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!