Sunday, April 4, 2021

Happy Mother's Day

 Handmade Happy Mother's Day card with a colored image of a boy holding a giant purple flower

Double Trouble's Challenge #80 theme is "Something, Anything, Everything," with an optional challenge twist of coloring. I made this Mother's Day card to send to Send a Smile 4 Kids, inspired by that challenge. The design for my card is based on Sketch #SC843 from Splitcoaststampers.com.

I got the "Flower Boy" digital image from Just ME Digital Stamps. (Sadly, they are no longer in business.) I thought it would be perfect for a Mother's Day card from a little boy.

I did the image/greeting panel in Photoshop. I created a blank "canvas" to the size I needed, & copied the image onto that. Then I resized the image to fit. For the greeting, I used a font on my computer. I typed each word on a separate layer, and moved them into place, so they snugged together in the space under the flower. Finally, I printed the image/greeting onto a piece of Strathmore Vellum Bristol paper that I'd cut to size.

I used my Prismacolor colored pencils to color the boy & flower. I went for a complementary color scheme with his orange shirt & blue jeans. I have been into purple & green for a few years now, and so I colored the flower in those colors. I made the flower center yellow, which is the complement of purple, to keep with a complementary color scheme idea.

I matted a piece of patterned paper from Echo Park's "Fine and Dandy" 6x6" paper pad with dark blue cardstock, playing off the boy's jeans color. I matted 3 sides of the image/greeting panel with grey cardstock, added a green cardstock strip to my background, & adhered the main panel in place. Finally, I mounted my card front on a white A2-sized card base.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

10 comments:

  1. This is soooo adorable!!! Love the fun, happy color combo! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pencil coloring, Andrea! The soft colors are lovely and your card conveys such a thoughtful message. Thank you for playing along with us at Double Trouble Challenge #80.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, what a perfect Mother's Day card from a son at any age! Great job coloring the image, too! Thank you for sharing him with us at Double Trouble!!! --Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable image and looks so proud with his purple flower for mom... nice layout and color combination. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble and please check back with us for future fun challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little image is so cute! Any flower my little boy gives me is my favorite flower! Your card is perfect. Thanks for joining us at Double Trouble! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!