Thursday, March 25, 2021

Have a Magical Day!

  

Dies R Us Challenge Blog has teamed up with the Double Trouble Challenge for the current challenge. The Double Trouble theme is "A Magical Day," with the optional twist of using a metal die. For Dies R Us, the challenge is to use a metal die. I created this card to send to a woman I met at a virtual retreat last Fall, whose birthday is coming up soon.

I recently received the "Party Unicorn" mini stamp set & coordinating dies from Lawn Fawn as a gift during my birthday month. I had not gotten to play with it yet, but thought it went perfectly with the themes of both these challenges. I stamped the unicorn & cupcake on Strathmore Smooth Bristol paper in Simon Says Stamp Fog ink. I used my Tombow markers to color the images, and cut them out with the coordinating dies.

For the background, I used the "Mini Cloud Edges" stencil from My Favorite Things to add a rainbow cloud sky. I used Kitsch Flamingo, Dried Marigold, Squeezed Lemonade, Twisted Citron, Tumbled Glass, & Milled Lavender Distress inks. After I finished inking, I splattered the panel with water droplets, let that sit for several seconds, then blotted with a dry cloth to create some bleached spots for a more ethereal look.

I die cut a cloud from a scrap of Canson XL Mixed Media paper with a die from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps' "Clouds & Raindrops" set (discontinued). I lightly inked the bottom edge with Milled Lavender & did Tumbled Glass on the top, just so it wasn't so stark white.

I wanted some accent around the edges of my background, so I die cut with the largest of the "Large Cross-stitched Rectangle" dies from Lawn Fawn. I adhered that to a white A2-size card base. I adhered the die cut cloud with foam tape, to help it stand out from the background a bit. I glued the cupcake to the unicorn, and adhered her in place. I added foam tape behind her head, & glued her flat to the cloud. That way she is on the same level as the cloud. I added Diamond Stickles to her horn & the heart topper on the cupcake, & streaks of it on the die cut cloud.

I used a greeting from Lawn Fawn that they had also sent me for my birthday month. I stamped that in Lawn Fawn's Fresh Lavender ink. I wanted a soft color to go with the whole look of the card, but that would still show up against the background. Since I had foam-mounted my images, I did use my MISTI stamp positioning tool to stamp the greeting, just in case I didn't get a good impression on the first try. Thankfully, it stamped well & I didn't have to re-stamp. As a finishing touch, I added Diamond Stickles dots around the panel, because you always need more glitter with unicorns! :)

I'm also entering this card in 613 Avenue Create's March "Anything Goes" Challenge (not playing the twist).

16 comments:

  1. This is so soft and sweet! I agree that glitter is always perfect ;) Thanks for joining us at Double Trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card has a nice Spring feeling because of the colors, but could be used any time :) Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your stencil cloud dies and the colors you combined for a very magical background for your adorable unicorn. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble and DiesRUs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty dainty card. Love the soft colours. Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create this month. Have a creative week. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet is your card with the unicorn! Thanks so much for joining us at Dies R Us for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea - what a sweet card you've created for our Double Trouble "magical" challenge! Love all the fluffy clouds and the color matched pearls! Thank you so much for sharing with us at DT! -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful card with that sweet unicorn - you've captured the magic! Thank you for playing along with us at Double Trouble #79.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pastel background to showcase your sweet little unicorn. Thanks for sharing with us at 613 Avenue Create this month.
    Hugs, Sandy DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!