Saturday, March 28, 2020

Card Drive for Seniors


Ellen Hutson, based in Issaquah, WA, is having a card drive to collect cards for senior citizens in one of their local nursing & rehab facilities. Because of the current COVID-19 pandemic, nursing home residents are not permitted to have visitors. While they may not be able to see people face-to-face, hopefully cards will prove to be the next best thing. Ellen Hutson needs encouraging cards, with messages written on the inside for the residents. I created 2 cards for this drive.


For my first card, I used Sketch #SC579 from Splitcoaststampers.com as the basis for my design. I chose the "Daisy Kitty" & "So Much to Say #1" by Inky Antics for my image & greeting. I stamped the image in Altenew Vanilla Cream ink onto a panel of Strathmore Smooth Bristol paper. I colored it with my Tombow water-based markers. I added a bit of a very pale yellow to the daisy petals, just to help them stand out a little bit.

I used a 2" circle punch to punch out the opening in the patterned paper (from Pink Paislee's "Summer Lights" 6x6" pad). I adhered that and the top strip to my bristol paper panel, matted everything with a light green cardstock panel, & adhered it to my card base.

For the greeting, I chose the "sending you" & "warm hugs" stamps from "So Much to Say #1." To keep the greeting shorter so it would fit in the space I had, I masked the "you," inked up "sending" with Lawn Fawn's Forget-Me-Not ink, and stamped (after removing the masking tape from the stamp, of course!). Then I lined up the "warm hugs" stamp, inked again with the same color, & stamped it. I cut that into a small strip, and adhered it to my card.

I chose Newton's Nook's "Newton's Birdhouse" image for my second card. I stamped it onto a panel of Strathmore Vellum Bristol paper with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. Since this was a new stamp, I had to stamp it about 3 times to get a good black outline. I colored it with my Prismacolor colored pencils, using Gamsol on a blending stump to blend just the kitty's fur, so it would look nice & soft. I also added grass with 2 green pencils, to ground the image.

I stamped my greeting, also from the "So Much to Say #1" set, in Lawn Fawn's Blue Jay ink, onto a strip of Bazzill Icy Mint cardstock. I die cut 3 hearts from a scrap of patterned paper I had in my stash, using the 3 smallest of Hero Arts' "Nested Hearts Infinity" dies. I assembled my card, following Sketch #SC639, also at Splitcoaststampers.com, and using papers from the "Summer Lights" pad. I matted everything with a mint-green cardstock, and adhered it to my card base.

I'm also entering these in the following challenges:

Die Cut Divas: "Anything Goes" (second card only)
613 Avenue Create #231: "Anything Goes" (playing the colored pencils twist on my second card)
The House that Stamps Built Challenge #DCC M420: "It's Raining Cats & Dogs"

11 comments:

  1. Two adorable cards! Love the sweet kitties! I have a big orange guy just like the one on the first card. Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your adorable kitty and birdhouse! Thank you for joining us at Die Cut Divas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are adorable ! What a great idea to send cards x Thanks for sharing at 613 Avenue Create xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a fantastic idea and you've made some adorably cute cards with those kittens!!
    So glad you shared with us at 613 Avenue Create for the challenge! Good Luck!

    ¸ • .. ')) -: |:-. •'. • ')) * ((¸¸. •' .. • '
    Hugs ~ DT Shell 💕

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these cars are fabulous. I am sure the recipients will love them as much as we do. Thanks for playing with us this month at 613 Avenue Create Challenge. AJ DT 613

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!