Monday, February 3, 2020

Happy Birthday Balloons

My Favorite Things' Wednesday Sketch Challenge #474 inspired the design of this card. I need a birthday card for a friend, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to use this sketch and some new (and old) products!

I thought the circles in the sketch translated well to balloons. I used 2 dies from Lawn Fawn's "Party Balloons" set for the largest balloons, and a few from My Favorite Things' "Bundle of Balloons" to fill out the design. I die cut the 10 balloons from rainbow colors of cardstock. I chose a cream cardstock for my background, as I wanted something neutral, but not stark white. I glued all the balloons on, basically following the sketch. I didn't add balloon strings, since I felt that would just clutter the design, and they were unnecessary anyway. I finished that panel by adding a narrow strip of lavender cardstock along the left edge.

I stamped the greeting, from MFT's "Big Birthday Sentiments," in Versamark ink onto a strip of Essentials by Ellen 40 lb. vellum. I heat embossed it with Ranger Liquid Platinum embossing powder. After trimming the left end into a fishtail banner, I used my Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher to staple the banner to the edge of my panel.

For the dark teal panel, I used a new-to-me Echo Park stencil, "Birthday Balloons." I taped my cardstock to the back of the stencil, & used a palette knife to smear Liquitex Gloss Super Heavy Gel medium over the stencil. Once I had a smooth layer of gel, I carefully removed the stencil; cleaned that, my work surface, & palette knife; and set the panel aside to dry.

After the gel dried, I adhered the teal panel flat to a white A2-size card base. I popped the main panel up with craft/fun foam, using double-sided tape to adhere everything. The hardest/longest part of this process was probably the design. I know that sounds ironic, since I was working from a pre-made sketch. But just trying to figure out what balloon sizes fit where, so I could die cut each from the "right" color took a while. But I love how this card came out.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge: "Anything Goes"
Creative Knockouts Challenge #335: "Birthday Wishes"

4 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT! You have created the ultimate Birthday card! Amazing technique with the stencil, love everything about your card! So glad you joined us for our Birthday Wishes Challenge at Creative Knockouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely a beautiful card. i like it very much! Thank you for playing along at The Creative Knockouts. Hope to see you again! Bye Deezy (DT)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!