Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Spiral Thanks


I created this card inspired by the sketch and photo for the Fusion "Winter" challenge. The dark greens & whites in the trees directed my overall color scheme.


I cut a panel of white cardstock to 5.5x4.25". I must admit, it was a bit of a struggle to position Altenew's "Illusion Spiral" stencil. I wanted it to look kind of like stylized sun rays, with the center of the spiral being the "sun." But I quickly discovered that the way the "rays" are cut in the stencil, they don't go out evenly from the center area, & have odd angles. So I ended up positioning it higher on the panel than I had originally intended, & covered the bottom with my greeting strip. That gave me the look I was after!

I inked through the stencil first with Evergreen Bough Distress ink, using a small makeup brush to blend the color softly & fade out towards white at the edges. Once I had the color blended smoothly, I used a smaller makeup brush & Pine Needles Distress ink to deepen the color just towards the center of the design.

I die cut the greeting with a "Many Thanks" die by My Favorite Things (discontinued). I felt the pale blue cardstock was a bit too flat-looking, next to the ombre of the stenciling. So I used a foam ink blending tool with Tumbled Glass Distress ink to blend up from the bottom of the die cut word. After that, I went in with Peacock Feathers Distress ink to darken the color a bit at the bottom of the letters. I glued that to a strip of dark teal cardstock, adhered that to my panel, & mounted the finished panel to a white card base. Overall, this was a pretty easy card to make. The design and stencil position were the only really hard parts. :)

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

613 Avenue Create's Challenge #229: "Anything Goes" (not playing the twist)
Die Cut Divas: "New Things" (the "Illusion Spiral" stencil is new for me)

6 comments:

  1. Very effective..Thank you so much for joining in with us at 613 Avenue Create..hope you will play along again..

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great monochrome card and love the beautiful spiral stencil. Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great take from the sketch, and fun with that spiral stencil!! Thanks for playing along our January challenge at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!